Sign in to follow this  
Javelinasports

Unit 9 Deer Tags

Hello folks, looking for some help on Unit 9, Hold on before you hit the respond button! Ok Here is my story and it true! We have not been drawn for 4-years for Deer and Elk, Unit 9 was and is my favorite unit and know the unit pretty well, I have helped quite a few folks on the forum but have not really asked for some tips....we have had a place in 5BS BUT for the life of me cannot get drawn there and have helped many folks there too and helping on the youth hunt in a couple of weeks. Usually don't have any issues giving tips as long as I feel good about the hunters. Anyway plan on scouting but also wondering if Deer typically stay in same areas year after year, I do know back in the day Skinner ridge was great for Deer but the last 10 years very little anymore. So just looking for some favor, take care and if you have any hunts in 5BS let me know. Thanks and have a great day.

I had the tag last year. Saw about 20-30 deer a day and saw maybe 3 bucks. Most deer activity was near the park boundary and near the reservation boundary in the north west portion of the unit. They would run to the closest water source during the first 15 minutes of light or in the last 15 minutes of light each day. Then they would run right back to safety. Deer density is really bad. I had 5 scouting trips and had only seen 4 bucks between all those trips before the hunt. Good luck

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I had the tag last year. Saw about 20-30 deer a day and saw maybe 3 bucks. Most deer activity was near the park boundary and near the reservation boundary in the north west portion of the unit. They would run to the closest water source during the first 15 minutes of light or in the last 15 minutes of light each day. Then they would run right back to safety. Deer density is really bad. I had 5 scouting trips and had only seen 4 bucks between all those trips before the hunt. Good luck

THanks for sharing that tidbit. Hopefully it helps.

I've hunted there several times, and a friend has a cabin near red butte... Skinner ridge and all around red butte and lizard mountain hold a lot of deer.. the cabin is south of Tusayan in the flats with lots of sage brush and junipers .. We have killed many big bucks down low around government tank and lower.. up high is like a highway full of dumb butt"es guaranteed to screw your hunt up... Stay low and put the time in and you WILL be successful.. good luck and let us know how you do

On 9/23/2022 at 6:32 AM, Javelinasports said:

Yes, thanks have been around the east and west boundary many times, I think I am going to focus on the southern portion this time east and west sides. 

That's a perfect plan. ..to many hunter up high around the park..  there are deer there but one buck for every 500 people. 

Thanks Bill@roofer! I know Gvmt tank well, we are staying near Valle, so the plan is to hunt the lower half, I agree on the 1 for 500, used to not be that way, way back. Was going to start a little west of Anita station and North.

Monsters at red butte. Found this giant near the trailhead. Here is a 234 casing for reference. It's not easy to find bucks. The east side is packed with hunters. Go far west. Less hunters. Only ran into 5 groups on the opening weekend over there. It's a hard hunt. All groups I talked too didn't even see any deer at all. I only saw one truck with a buck in the back. It was a 3x3

Snapchat-1282120775.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Monsters at red butte. Found this giant near the trailhead. Here is a 234 casing for reference. It's not easy to find bucks. The east side is packed with hunters. Go far west. Less hunters. Only ran into 5 groups on the opening weekend over there. It's a hard hunt. All groups I talked too didn't even see any deer at all. I only saw one truck with a buck in the back. It was a 3x3

Snapchat-1282120775.jpg

If no one ever see’s deer, why hunt there?