Sign in to follow this  
sneakem33

Not AZ/NM...

The secret to getting so close is failing miserably a bunch of times...lol

Realistically I drew a decent tag, spent a ton of time looking over a number of goats.  Found a couple of really good bucks and decided that I would make a play on them with the longbow, knowing I could switch to a rifle in a few weeks and shoot a grande, so there was no pressure to fill the tag.  Failed on a few stalks and while doing so, turned this buck up, which would have been a no brainer even with a gun in a few weeks.  Had I known this buck existed I would have brought the compound or held off completely until the rifle opener. Really it just worked out that was the only thing I could hunt him with at the moment in time...

I botched a bunch of stalks on him during the day and eventually I caught him dogging a doe that I know was headed to water.  I caught them traveling in a wash and ambushed him in a brushy spot about 35 yards out, which is about as far as I feel comfortable shooting. Shot was a little forward, but managed to get enough penetration to get the job done... There's a long winded play by play on another site, but that's the short of it.

Ironically enough the largest I've ever taken with any weapon... I knew he was big but stunned when I walked up on him...

• Like 5

Way to go - that is a huge accomplishment with a longbow. I grew up shooting a recurve, no sights. Yep, 40 yards was about the limit. 

• Like 1

That is a great accomplishment.  Incredible mass on the horns of that buck!  Did you get a Pope and Young score?  It's also great that you got him with a traditional

bow.  The only bows I have used are a recurve and a reflex, so I am partial to hunting traditional.

Jim

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cloninger said:

That is a great accomplishment.  Incredible mass on the horns of that buck!  Did you get a Pope and Young score?  It's also great that you got him with a traditional

bow.  The only bows I have used are a recurve and a reflex, so I am partial to hunting traditional.

Jim

I never enter anything in the books, but I did rough tape him at about 86".

• Like 1