Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

AR 10 chambering and barrel decisions

Picked up Aero builders kit. I was going to do another 308, but what is another good option for something a little cheaper to shoot? I was thinking maybe .243. 

If I stick with 308 I'm debating a 20" fluted 1 in 10 Wilson combat, or a proof barrel with the same length and twist. Other then the weight difference are proof barrels that much better to justify 3 times the price? 

I do not think there is anything .473 boltface that will be cheaper to shoot commercially.  A couple of easier rounds to find tho would be 22-250, 243, 300 savage.  Not sure on the barrels but anything to reduce the weight on an AR-10 would be worth it to me. My .308 is HEAVY.  

• Like 1

My dad is doing a 6.5 creedmoor but wants a 7-08 upper also .I got him the aero upper and lower .I'm just waiting for the missing barrel and extended mag release button that never made it into the box of all the rest of the parts I ordered.Go figure it was never put in the box even tho the pick ticket said it was there.Now its on backorder and I might get it in late October.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AZHOUND said:

My next large frame will be a 6 creedmoor or .243. A fluted 20” Wilson Combat seems just about right for a barrel. 

Yeah that 6mm looks interesting. 

I recently built another one chambered in 308 with a 16 inch stainless noveske barrel. That thing is fricking heavy. 

Still havnt fired it......

308, 260 rem, 6.5cm, 6cm, 243, 22-250.

The cheapest and most plentiful ammo wise is 308. 6.5cm is good for alot of different ammo options. If you want a .243 caliber I would consider a 6cm. 

If you want something funky 25cm or something else oddball. 

Decided to go 308. Fluted Wilson combat super sniper. Well see if the name lives up to the hype. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Decided to go 308. Fluted Wilson combat super sniper. Well see if the name lives up to the hype. 

Gap 10s live up to their name ....