I grew up squirrel hunting in Arizona and I’ve noticed a huge decline in squirrel numbers over the past few years. It seemed like not that long ago our hunting party would go out and have no problem shooting our daily limits. However, over the past two or three years we we’ve only been lucky enough to see one or two! Anyone else having this issue or am I just hunting the wrong units? I’m really trying hard to find my kids a few squirrels to shoot. 

Thanks,
Cameron

No shortage in the unit I hunt, they wake up the entire forest when I go hiking. Need to carry a BB gun with me. 

50 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

They were EVERYWHERE this weekend in unit 8.  dang dog would disappear chasing them up trees.  

We hunted up around Whitehorse lake a few years ago and didn’t see many. Maybe we’ll have to drive up there again. Thanks for the insight 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

We hunted up around Whitehorse lake a few years ago and didn’t see many. Maybe we’ll have to drive up there again. Thanks for the insight 👍

We weren't camped too far from the lake, maybe 6-7 miles west of it.  Elk were still bugling pretty good at night too. Good time to get out with the kiddos.

• Like 1

I agree with the original poster of this topic.  In unit 8 there is "a huge decline in squirrel numbers" compared to a few years back.  We covered a lot of ground from opening morning to Sunday evening.  We only saw 6 squirrels the whole weekend.  We got 4 of those six.  One of the other two squirrels was literally in someone's camp and the other one crossed the road in front of us at another camp.  Among our camp was a lot of wondering from our hunting group on what has happened to the squirrels.  Finding actural squirrel sign was like no where.  We didn't find any squirrel nests.  No signs of where they have been eating.  Places which have had plenty of squirrels in the past years appeared absent of squirrels.  

This year squirrel numbers were an improvement from last year.  Last year we only saw 2 squirrels the whole weekend.  One was a roadkill.  The other was on posted private property.

I am interested in what has caused the obvious decline in squirrels. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hntnIwlgo said:

I agree with the original poster of this topic.  In unit 8 there is "a huge decline in squirrel numbers" compared to a few years back.  We covered a lot of ground from opening morning to Sunday evening.  We only saw 6 squirrels the whole weekend.  We got 4 of those six.  One of the other two squirrels was literally in someone's camp and the other one crossed the road in front of us at another camp.  Among our camp was a lot of wondering from our hunting group on what has happened to the squirrels.  Finding actural squirrel sign was like no where.  We didn't find any squirrel nests.  No signs of where they have been eating.  Places which have had plenty of squirrels in the past years appeared absent of squirrels.  

This year squirrel numbers were an improvement from last year.  Last year we only saw 2 squirrels the whole weekend.  One was a roadkill.  The other was on posted private property.

I am interested in what has caused the obvious decline in squirrels. 

Thanks for your insight! I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one seeing a decline in squirrel numbers. 

Living in 8 I see the numbers fluctuate year to year. This year is better than last year in my opinion. A few years ago I killed several limits in the evening when I got off work. Last year I could hardly find any. 

My son and I were in 23 and drove down Colcord to the Young Rd and back and saw four. We also took a side road off Colcord down a few miles to Hagler and didn't see any down there.

During the elk hunt earlier in september, my hunting partner and I commented several times on the lack of squirrels seen.

I have noticed a decline.  Not a biologist but I suspect population fluctuates with moisture.  Drought has most small game numbers down.  Saw decent numbers in 6A this past weekend.  Will PM you.