Enrike

Need some advice

Hi everyone, I need some advice, my kid got drawn for unit 10 late hunt, I’ve never hunted that unit before and he obviously depends on me to find him a bull. I bought the big bo passes and scouted a couple of times already and haven’t seen any elk yet. I asked a few hunters and they all recommend the Aubrey cliffs, I scouted as much as I could since it’s been raining and the roads are very bad right now. I’m not looking for a pinpoint or a honey hole, just an advice on where to start. I have lots of experience on 4a, 4b, and 36b if anyone needs some help. Thank you 

I know, after a few recommendations I was very optimistic about the cliffs but I’m starting to lose faith very quickly. Haven’t seen any tracks or droppings in two scouting trips. I will keep looking. Thx 

The elk will move off the flats  and into the thicker pj over the next few weeks as the rut winds down.    Find some points where you can glass into the more heavily vegetated hill sides,  preferably with a fair amount of cliffrose and you'll turn up some bulls.  Finding a a good one that's still intact is going to be more challenging.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hey man thx for the advice I have confidence that we will see elk it’s just a little discouraging when you don’t see any sign of elk on two scouting trips. Thx again

I heard a couple bugles this morning before I left for work.  As stated above,  they're winding down the rut and will begin heading to sanctuary areas.  Bet you see some later,  closer to your hunt. Keep scouting. Good luck!

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about Unit 10, but I’d love to hear about how you guys end up doing. Keep us posted how the hunt goes! And good luck to you!

I hunted 10 a lot back in the day for deer. Always up around cataract canyon north of the Redlands ranch. Never went a deer season without running into a big bull up there.