Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckclub

AZ Strip trail cam ban impact..?. and other thoughts?

Well... I got lucky and drew a 13A tag this year. I'm getting pretty excited. 

I am curious to people's thoughts on how the camera ban will play out for strip hunts. I know there are guides that are there anyway and will just spend more time behind the glass instead. 

I've heard from a few people that the archery hunts were pretty tough because of all the rain. Anyone else hear similar? 

I'm doing it DIY and have been in the unit before - but for a sheep hunt. Due to work and an archery elk tag I haven't been up there this year. My plan is to just get up there 5-6 days before the opener to look for deer and then get after it. 

I'm also open to general advice from anyone who has had the tag before... or pics of success to get the juices flowing! Lol

• Like 2

This is just my opinion and observation but I think quite a few of the biggest bucks will still be killed this year by the guys that ran a bunch of cameras in the past.  A buck that was pretty good 2-3 years ago and didn't get killed most likely will be in the same general area and so they will hunt that area trying to turn him up.  I don't think the "benefits" of the camera ban will become apparent until the next 2 years. 

• Like 5

I agree with the above. From what ive seen with elk season and coues so far, the grass is tall, water is everywhere and animals a spread out. I'd expect the same thing in 13A. Id be ready to glass like crazy in a new spot every day. Don't be afraid to move. Don't be intimidated by the groups of guides and glassers. 

• Like 1

Yeah everyone told me the archery hunt was pretty rough this year. Feed and water everywhere spreads everything out, which makes it so that even on a camera year the hunting is still tough. At least you have the rut getting closer for the rifle hunt that will help you out. The historic areas that hold does during the rut will still hold does, so people with that legacy knowledge will still benefit from it. Not having cameras this year will make it so that 5 outfitters should not be hunting one big buck living in a less popular area, theoretically. If they aren't starting to rut yet though, it can get tough quick.

Maybe you are an all-in doesn't-get-hunt-fatigue type of guy, but I would be careful about going 5-6 days early and staying straight through, it can be brutal on you mentally and physically, especially on the strip where you might not see a mature buck for a couple days depending on where you are hunting and the rut. By the time you have been up there for 8 or 9 days, that 175" 4x4 can start looking mighty fine... I personally could probably only do 2 or 3 days of scouting before the hunt if I was staying continuous straight through by myself, but some guys can do it no problem. Maybe some of mine is tied to home/fam situation that always play a factor.

• Like 4

Bring spare tires and a couple cams to set on your camp and truck.  This year will be interesting to see how things play out with the cam ban. Hopefully there won't be 20 guys glassing per hunter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Bring spare tires and a couple cams to set on your camp and truck.  This year will be interesting to see how things play out with the cam ban. Hopefully there won't be 20 guys glassing per hunter.

There all ways is, why would it change.

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

and they call that fair chase and ethical? 20 guys x hunter?

17 hours ago, maximus said:

and they call that fair chase and ethical? 20 guys x hunter?

As long as they don't use radios. (jokes)

Like mentioned! Bring 2 spares and full time mechanic and parts delivery guy ! 
Drive tell you see 10 trucks parked , there will be big buck spotted there . I found cameras , where checked daily on water holes , to help with frustration not glassing up deer and  if a good buck , hit a tank , in past 4 hours . That area , would be pounded with spotters . 
If I had tag this year and the water availability. I would save my gas and wear and tear on my vehicle! Cover the country , stop and glass , stop and glass   .  Mentally and the most frustrating hunt you will ever be on ! Weather can be brutal , being stuck in the snow , mud or broken down , alone and off the grid ! Your worst nightmare!!!! 
Positive note - Greatest tag you can get , biggest bucks you will ever see and best memories of a life time . I think with out cameras , hunting the 13s will be greatest show on earth again 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Are you saying to put cams at camp because people will stop by to take things that are not theirs? I've never had to do that before. I'll keep stuff locked up in the truck for sure... I'm taking my side by side to get me around the unit. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sneaker said:

Yeah everyone told me the archery hunt was pretty rough this year. Feed and water everywhere spreads everything out, which makes it so that even on a camera year the hunting is still tough. At least you have the rut getting closer for the rifle hunt that will help you out. The historic areas that hold does during the rut will still hold does, so people with that legacy knowledge will still benefit from it. Not having cameras this year will make it so that 5 outfitters should not be hunting one big buck living in a less popular area, theoretically. If they aren't starting to rut yet though, it can get tough quick.

Maybe you are an all-in doesn't-get-hunt-fatigue type of guy, but I would be careful about going 5-6 days early and staying straight through, it can be brutal on you mentally and physically, especially on the strip where you might not see a mature buck for a couple days depending on where you are hunting and the rut. By the time you have been up there for 8 or 9 days, that 175" 4x4 can start looking mighty fine... I personally could probably only do 2 or 3 days of scouting before the hunt if I was staying continuous straight through by myself, but some guys can do it no problem. Maybe some of mine is tied to home/fam situation that always play a factor.

I hear what you are saying on the fatigue, but a hunt like this one I think I'll be just fine being focused. It's just too good of a tag to not really get after it, especially because I feel a little guilty for not making a scouting trip up there. I thought about heading up Tuesday, but figured a couple extra days wouldn't hurt. I've got work squared away (famous last words for a small biz owner) and luckily the wife is understanding of this tag and how lucky I am to have it.  

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, bigbuckclub said:

Are you saying to put cams at camp because people will stop by to take things that are not theirs? I've never had to do that before. I'll keep stuff locked up in the truck for sure... I'm taking my side by side to get me around the unit. 

I wouldn't worry about camp as much but I'd have cams nearby watching traffic near your truck. Especially if you find a big one. I would just be overly cautious. Not trying crap in your Cheerios but if you find a real big buck you never know what someone might do to impede your success.

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

I wouldn't worry about camp as much but I'd have cams nearby watching traffic near your truck. Especially if you find a big one. I would just be overly cautious. Not trying crap in your Cheerios but if you find a real big buck you never know what someone might do to impede your success.

It's a dang shame that you'd even have to think about something like that happening. FFS. Frankly, that issue never really crossed my mind. But, I also don't draw good tags... until this year at least. Lol

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

When I hunted there I was told to move on. Said they had someone spotted every 1/4 mile glassing.

• Wow! 1

“Your worst nightmare”

“Someone trying to impede your success”

you guys are as dramatic as old women.

im sure everyone wants to kill a huge buck. 

It’s a hunt, shoot happens. It’s gonna be fun. 

• Thanks 1