Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Wife’s first hunt

After twenty years of watching me leave to hunt and fifteen of me taking my three boys hunting, she was finally ready to go. Our last headed to college this fall and I guess she felt this was her time.  She’s a lefty which meant new rifle. She got her Christensen Arms 7mm mag dialed in  and I had her shooting to 500 fairly quickly. She drew a tough unit with only 15 tags but I’d seen elk in one canyon pretty often in Jan OTC deer so I was hoping they’d be their when is was warmer.   Pre scouting showed they were there but bear hunters and early hunts had them holding in deeper canyons. After four days of hiking and glassing our work paid off we picked them up mid day but they pegged us and pushed a mile back. I sent my boy after them to keeps eyes on from a distance and we circled around behind them but they didn’t flop over to where I thought they would.  My son watched them bed in thick juniper at three so we backed out again and circled back to where we thought they’d pop out at sun down and move across a ridge.  At 4:30 two hunters we didn’t know were right below decided they’d had enough and packed out to their truck and left.  Good luck  for us.  At 5:00 they popped out like we thought and moved across an open ridge. We cut the distance to 600 yards by 5:45 and got her setup.  So funny because game time was much more stressful then practice shooting but she held it together    First shot was back a little and the elk just stood there as the Barnes passed right through (I’m on the fence on this bullet performance). She was at a steep angle so my bad for  not adjusting her point of aim. I adjusted her turret down a bit and next shot punched through the shoulder and back into the boiler room. Elk fell back and was done.  Nice steep climb to the elk but easy pack down.  She did great.  So proud of her. Never complained and carried her own gear and rifle.  Thanks to my son who works at GoHunt for some new gear for us and for his work on the spotter.  She’s hooked and still has a grin on her face. 

67E7C47C-89E3-44B8-860C-3DEB8EEAB477.jpeg

F4989B8C-B859-4EC8-9C1A-8E2F514ECDC7.jpeg

EC45A8D6-19A5-491B-BAB9-E7055C9310FF.jpeg

3FB55F43-8BB8-4769-8994-29D38D2E51AB.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Love 1

That’s Awesome! Congratulations to you both!

• Like 1

My best memories are watching my wife and kids be successful on their hunts .... congratulations and cherish this great moment. 

• Like 1

Congratulations. I've yet to recover  a barns copper bullet they seem to pass right thru.They have done there job with a few elk and a California  pig but I'd like to see the bullet  after it does its work.

• Like 1

The smiles say it all! My wife also got her first tag this year for the late hunt so I’ll be sharing this story with her for inspiration. Congratulations to your wife on great shooting and dealing the deal!

• Like 1

Congratulations to the whole family!