Sign in to follow this  
anythingwithantlers

Chiricahua Wilderness Access

Anybody have a good place I could look to find info about the roads leading up to the Chiricahua Wilderness? I can't find specific info using the FS rd numbers from GoHunt maps, they might be inaccurate. I'm looking at trying to drive Turkey Creek Rd this weekend. I have 4 wheel drive and decent clearance. I just don't want to drive 4 hours after work on a Friday to check out an area and find that a road isn't usable. Any info about road condition would be awesome. I really hope this doesn't come off as me looking to get info on someone's spots. I'm not. Just looking for info about access. 

1 hour ago, anythingwithantlers said:

Anybody have a good place I could look to find info about the roads leading up to the Chiricahua Wilderness? I can't find specific info using the FS rd numbers from GoHunt maps, they might be inaccurate. I'm looking at trying to drive Turkey Creek Rd this weekend. I have 4 wheel drive and decent clearance. I just don't want to drive 4 hours after work on a Friday to check out an area and find that a road isn't usable. Any info about road condition would be awesome. I really hope this doesn't come off as me looking to get info on someone's spots. I'm not. Just looking for info about access. 

Did you check the Hunt Unit info on AZGFD Website or an Forest Service Map? You can also try calling the Tucson Office and ask to speak to the wildlife manager for that area.

26 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Did you check the Hunt Unit info on AZGFD Website or an Forest Service Map? You can also try calling the Tucson Office and ask to speak to the wildlife manager for that area.

I couldn't find anything about Chiricahua Wilderness access, specifically on AZGFD's website, but I'll definitely give the Tucson office a shout. Thanks!

I had a question about access into an area after a very rich Californian bought a ranch and then locked the gate. Turns out the Coronado NF has an access coordinator, check with him and see if he can tell you about roads up to the wilderness area.

1 minute ago, AZAV8ER said:

I had a question about access into an area after a very rich Californian bought a ranch and then locked the gate. Turns out the Coronado NF has an access coordinator, check with him and see if he can tell you about roads up to the wilderness area.

That's awesome info thank you!

2 hours ago, anythingwithantlers said:

Yes but I'm looking for more specific info about the condition of the roads leading up to the wilderness. I can get down most FS roads but don't want to get shut out on a friday night and have to turn around and figure something else out.

Then go Saturday morning. 

Bottom line is you have time to do some more research, obtain some maps, get OnX. Sounds like you are going to spend the weekend. So,,,, pack a tent, take an extra spare tire and go on Friday.

Take some firewood and leave on Friday. If it doesn't pan out find a spot to camp, make a fire and grill a steak and have a cold one. Enjoy the solitude in one of the better corners of the State. Wake up in the morning stress free and look somewhere else. You will befour hours ahead of the game. You are going to have to do it all anyway. When is your hunt?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Bottom line is you have time to do some more research, obtain some maps, get OnX. Sounds like you are going to spend the weekend. So,,,, pack a tent, take an extra spare tire and go on Friday.

Take some firewood and leave on Friday. If it doesn't pan out find a spot to camp, make a fire and grill a steak and have a cold one. Enjoy the solitude in one of the better corners of the State. Wake up in the morning stress free and look somewhere else. You will befour hours ahead of the game. You are going to have to do it all anyway. When is your hunt?

For sure! I never mind just camping for the night and regrouping. If possible though, I do like to make the absolute most of my time on scouting missions if I'm going to spend money on the gas to get down there and if I can find info to validate that a road is good to go, that means i get to glass earlier in the morning instead of driving elsewhere. I've just been having trouble finding solid info on the roads in this area. i've looked at a few different mapping softwares and none really help me get any further in that regard. 

My tag is 11/25-12/4. I'm pretty psyched, It's my first rifle Coues tag. I've been chasing them with a bow but they're so dang spooky! Love these critters though and I'm looking forward to a lot of hours spent glassing. 

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Last time I was on Turkey creek it went to a “parking lot area” and a hike into the wilderness. That’s been a few years. I might take the main road up and thru, don’t know the name or number.

10 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Last time I was on Turkey creek it went to a “parking lot area” and a hike into the wilderness. That’s been a few years. I might take the main road up and thru, don’t know the name or number.

Yes that is the start of the trail head.  Lots of people.

All the roads that lead to designated camp sites will be maintained. However, if it snows, they may close access up to Rustler Park.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:38 AM, anythingwithantlers said:

https://azaccessmap.com/map.html

On the right hand side you can check the box for easements, access points, sign in boxes, etc.