Sign in to follow this  
anythingwithantlers

.300 win mag for Coues

Is this a terrible idea? I've got a thanksgiving tag and my current rifle options are a .300 win mag or a bolt action .223. I currently use Barnes TSX 165 grain and I've heard the all copper bullets won't completely destroy a Coues even though it definitely sounds like too big of a round. Any thoughts on this?

300 wm is a do-all round. I’ve shot several coues with one and it wasn’t any worse than my .264wm that i always hunt with. Shot one with a .338 Lapua….only one. 10/10 Would not recommend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

300 wm is a do-all round. I’ve shot several coues with one and it wasn’t any worse than my .264wm that i always hunt with. Shot one with a .338 Lapua….only one. 10/10 Would not recommend. 

I was in 36B in about 2012 and a guy shot a spike with one. I think he got a little ribbin back in camp that night. Maybe Ernesto remembers it. One of the better camps I was in.

• Haha 1

Yeah I don’t think the 300 would be an issue at all. I’ve heard others use it for antelope so should be good for Coues too! Like pwrguy said, go with whatever is the most accurate and the gun you’re most comfortable shooting 

Put the bullet where it needs to go and the cartridge becomes irrelevant within reason.

Put the bullet where it needs to go.

The only thing  I wouldn't  hunt with a 300 is a javalina. A 150 gr at like 3200 fps made a mess of things.Shot was at about 10 feet .Instant field dress .Pig flew about 3 feet got one front and one back quarter .Blew the insides right out 

• Like 1