nateNAU

My 1st Wyoming antelope

After striking out last year, I put in for and drew Wyoming again. This year I gave myself 5 days to hunt and arriving 2 days early to scout. The hunt again aligned with my son's fall break and he accompanied me on the hunt. I learned last year that you need to know where you want to be at sunup opening day and that anything easy access will have a ton of hunters. I found a spot on the map that was a peninsula of public land of about 2 square miles but required a brutal 3-4 mile hike to reach. I was worried about my son being able to do that hike, let alone day after day. Well on the first day of scouting we hiked in there an hour and a half before the sun rose and got there right at first light. Right off the bat we started seeing antelope. Within half an hour we saw about 50 in 5 different groups spread out across the public land. I knew this was where we wanted to be. No need to scout more so we spent the rest of the day and the next fishing. We hiked into that area Saturday, Sunday and finally connected on this buck on Monday, having this tough to reach spot all to ourselves. We had plenty of antelope at about 400-600 yards but I was shooting a pistol and my max range was 300 that I was comfortable with. I glassed him up bedded and snuck into 324 yards. I built up the dirt so my pistol was rock solid, aimed right where I wanted it. 1 shot and he never got up.  About 34 miles total hiking in the trip. One of the hardest pack outs I've done but my son wanted to help so he carried the skull out. When we arrived back at the truck there was another group parked by us loading up a buck they killed. They asked asked how old my son was and said they watched us from a high ridge for most of our pack out and wanted to treat him to ice cream in town, to which we obliged . They said none of them wanted to hike that far and a 6 year old showed them up. Another great hunting trip with my son by my side.

PXL_20221017_152113144.jpg

PXL_20221018_192243830.jpg

PXL_20221017_173639113.jpg

PXL_20221017_185823715.jpg

PXL_20221013_151738943.jpg

PXL_20221015_183501139.jpg

PXL_20221013_230629433.jpg

PXL_20221013_183439797.jpg

• Like 26

Congratulations and nice write up. Very cool that you were able to get to share it with your son. Tell us a little more about the handgun you used. Contender?

That's Awesome!!!!!  Congrats on the harvest and teaching your son how to be a man!

• Like 1

Very awesome hunt and writeup. Proud dad for sure!

Love it!! Little man in tow creating some amazing memories.

This is just stellar!  One tough son you have, and I bet he's already signed up for your next hunt.

Here's to him becoming your lifelong hunting buddy.

I love the pic with his pack out of the skull.  Can't wait until we start seeing photos of his first big game trophies.

That photo of him.packingbout the head would be going on my wall if it were me.  EPIC photo!

Congrats, amd great job on getting him out with you.

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

That photo of him packing out the head would be going on my wall if it were me…

Yup!

2A72DBBC-5A93-4705-9595-C5431867B4FF.jpeg

• Like 3

What a great hunt. Congrats on a getting it done with a pistol and for having a tough as nails kid. 

That sounds like one heck of a hunt! Your son is a trooper and I’m sure that’s a trip he’ll remember his whole life. Very cool you got to experience it together! Great shooting and I’m glad you were able to tag out 

On 10/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, az41mag said:

Congratulations and nice write up. Very cool that you were able to get to share it with your son. Tell us a little more about the handgun you used. Contender?

It is a contender g2 in a wildcat cartridge that is a 405 Winchester necked down to 7mm. I'm getting a little over 2700 fps with a 140 gr Barnes ttsx bullet.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:31 PM, Big Browns said:

That's Awesome!!!!!  Congrats on the harvest and teaching your son how to be a man!

Thank you. Actually seeing some of your posts on wyoming encouraged me to apply in the first place.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:26 AM, Chef said:

Yup!

2A72DBBC-5A93-4705-9595-C5431867B4FF.jpeg

Thank you! I love this picture! It is definitely going up on the wall.

Thank everyone else for your kind words. I am super proud of my son and am enjoying every minute I get to spend with him. I have spent a lot of time strategizing how to incorporate my passion for the outdoors into his life. I have so many friends and family that have been burnt out by an over zealous dad trying to push them to hard or fast and I have dreaded that happening to him. 

To anyone thinking about doing Wyoming for antelope, I suggest you do it. It is a great learning experience before you draw an az tag.