270wsm

Son got his 3a3c cow

It all started a few years back when both my boys drew this same tag. My older boy James  tagged out at first light opening day, leaving us with the rest of the hunt to focus on getting Darren on one. Well  he had several opportunities but just couldn’t close the deal. Fast forward to this year Darren wanted redemption, unlike the previous tag this hunt started out slow. It was hard to locate elk with crummy weather ,so we called on our “ace in the hole” Nate who was a huge help before , and he came through for us again locating a small herd. We got to within 350yds and Darren let the 270wsm bark, we hear the “thwack” and knew right away it was a hit. The cow drops and we think she is done, but then she stands back up and we see that the shot was in the front shoulder but a little to far forward. We decide to back out and spent the entire next day tracking her with no luck other than finding the blood trail and where she bed the night before, we tracked her into a huge canyon for about 1 1/2 miles from where she was bedded. Two days later we  got into another herd with the bulls having a screaming contest. And we were able to get 120yds from one of the cows Darren let her have it and she didn’t make it 50yds and crashed! F5BDB89D-466D-4A02-8513-0B8BE7210C9F.thumb.jpeg.06665e072eaddc133d373f88a78f301d.jpeg

Check out the video I made of the hunt. I just started uploading to this channel, hopefully there’s more to come.

• Like 9