bowhunter-tw

Rifle options - recommendations wanted

So im looking at getting a nicer functioning 223 bolt action than the savage axis I bought years ago, mainly for varmits but I also enjoy shooting targets. For budget I was looking at going with a tikka, howa mini, or cz 527 if I could find one but in the end they end up coming out around $1000. Are there any others im missing I should consider around the $1000 range? I value a smooth bolt, nice trigger, good accuracy over getting a “cheaper gun”. whatever I get will end up cut around 18” for reasonable suppressed length. 

10 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Ruger american

I considered the ruger but Id rank the fit and finish on par with the savage I already have. The american ranch rifle does look like a handy set up. 

7 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

If your going  to lop off the barrel anyway  just run a 18 inch ar15 suppressed  .

The ar’s arent nearly as quiet suppressed, ive got an 18” ar and tested it next to my 22” bolt gun with the same can, I can shoot the bolt gun no ear pro, the ar is not  quite as friendly on the ears. If the ar were quieter I would surely stick with the route you suggested

• Like 1

The 110 Apex Predator is  great shooting rifle and smooth with a 20" (I think) threaded bbl.

The Tactical and MagPul hunter would be the other two I would have said but I don't think in .223 - I want to say 308 or 6.5 are the options there but both great options for what you are looking to do. Savage will make one for you in a 223 though if you want to go that route.   

There are lots of rifles between 800 and 1,000 dollars that are great. Kimber and Bergara haven’t been mentioned yet… but they’re good shooters too!  I tend to buy nicer rifles, but used to bring the price down a bit. The older Remington 700s are good shooters as well. 

Good luck in your search.

I have a Ruger American Ranch in 17hmr, I enjoy it alot but its not what I would call a fine piece of craftsmanship. Nothing against it though.

Howa Carbon looks cool in a 223, under $1k.

1 hour ago, Brooktrout26 said:

I have a Ruger American Ranch in 17hmr, I enjoy it alot but its not what I would call a fine piece of craftsmanship. Nothing against it though.

Howa Carbon looks cool in a 223, under $1k.

The ruger ranch is cool, im still heavily torn between the howa and tikka. It seems there are a decent amount of fit and finish issues people have with the howas but the tikkas seem more consistent. But a carbon stock mini action with threaded barrel right around 5lbs for under $1k is very tempting