Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Almost time

Got 21 mule in a few days. Leaving Thursday with a new approach. Taking the ranger as far east as I can drive from Dugas, taking the pack loaded up and waking out. 

I need to get away from the roads this trip- found some really good areas I’m hoping will be good for me this time. 

it’s pretty interesting trying to pack for this- usually I have a base camp with everything I need. Now I find myself going over the gear - do I really wanna carry this for a few days? Usually the answer is no… not so much. 

Going lite and fast. We’ll see how it turns out.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

Got 21 mule in a few days. Leaving Thursday with a new approach. Taking the ranger as far east as I can drive from Dugas, taking the pack loaded up and waking out. 

I need to get away from the roads this trip- found some really good areas I’m hoping will be good for me this time. 

it’s pretty interesting trying to pack for this- usually I have a base camp with everything I need. Now I find myself going over the gear - do I really wanna carry this for a few days? Usually the answer is no… not so much. 

With those directions , you’ll be in coues deer 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

With those directions , you’ll be in coues deer 

Tons.

Found some good pockets of Mule though. 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, Jazz said:

Good luck! Hope you find a giant! Post up your results!

On 10/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, Jazz said:

Good luck and be safe!

So it was a fantastic hunt. Never tagged out. Hunted 6 of 7 days.. saw some nasty storms I didn’t think would be that bad.

Saw Muley doe at all locations. (About 50 for the hunt) Never saw  a buck or a coues. (or Bear for that matter, apparently I was camping on the troubled bear release site for a few nights and that was a heck of a conversation with a passerby)

A lot of alone time. Glorious nights and views. Even had a guy at one point get off his quad and say “you look just like your picture” and handed me my drivers license and credit card. (The nicest guy in the world)

I walked alot deep into the Pine Wilderness, moved to Grapevine Mesa and then New River Mesa- and deer were in abundance once you left the roads, just nothing with horns. I think I need to upgrade to some Vortex Kaibabs- some deer at 400 yards were hard to glass.

Great hunt. Wish I had more time.

• Like 7

Man 50 does and 0 bucks in 6 days. That is brutal! Better start apply for a different hunt next year. I thought finding a buck around Kingman was a challenge, but unit 21 sounds like the buck void of the state.

On 12/16/2022 at 11:28 AM, Sneaker said:

Man 50 does and 0 bucks in 6 days. That is brutal! Better start apply for a different hunt next year. I thought finding a buck around Kingman was a challenge, but unit 21 sounds like the buck void of the state.

Not uncommon in 21 nowadays. Antelope population is even worse off in the unit and they stopped the hunts there. 10 years ago both species were easy in 21. Coyotes kill most of the fawns. Saw 4 coyotes in Jan bite up a calf elk. Lucky it kicked the alpha hard enough to fling it 20+ feet and the mature cow chased two of the others about a half mile. When they started going after her 8 other cows kicked the tar out of the 4th coyote. The other 30 elk just watched like a bunch of loosers. All I had was a bow or the coyotes would have lost at least a couple that day. 

On 12/16/2022 at 11:28 AM, Sneaker said:

Those numbers suck but when he says he could barely see a deer at 400 yards that seems to be a bigger issue to me