Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

2022 buck

As pointed out, the reports have been a little slow, so I decided to take a break from school work and type up a short report.

Tried a new unit with my hunting partner, it was awesome. His old stomping grounds that he has killed some great deer from. We were not over run with giant bucks, but had a great time and I managed to fill my tag on a cool buck on Tuesday the 25th.

We hiked into an area and were sitting there glassing. I got a little chilly so I stood up and put on my light jacket. When I did that, I had two does staring at me at about 150 yards. Went back to glassing. About 30 minutes later, I pull my eyes away from my binos and see two bucks at about the same spot. 

"Shooter buck!" I say to Jim, as I stuff an ear plug in my ear and grab the 28. The buck is only 138 yards away and sees me moving, but there is a bush in front of me where I cant use my bipod, so I hold the rifle freehand and let it rip. I see him turn after the shot and take a few steps so I let another rip. I only had two down in the gun so pull a 3rd from the saddle bag and drill him. It happened fast so I wasn't 100% sure of the shots, but saw a bush shaking for a few seconds after the last shot so I was confident he was down.

While reviewing what happened, I saw a cactus that appeared to be red and glistening. Sure enough, covered in blood. 

When we got to the blood, it looked like someone poured a 5 gallon bucket. Somehow, this buck took the 180 Hybrid from my 28 through both shoulders with a massive hole in his chest and made it 30-40 yards before going down.

• Like 21

180 gr at 138 yards through both shoulders...sounds about right.

Congrats on the buck.

Congratulations this is only the 2 nd Buck shot in AZ under 500 yards in the last 8 to 10 years.😝

• Like 1