Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

Nu Way heater reviews

I have not. Ihave a 10x14 tent and use a Mr Heater Buddy, but not the large one. It's a no brainer for me adn i have used it for close to 20 years. I looked at the Nu Way and all I can say is research it well and get a CO2 monitor.

27 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I have not. Ihave a 10x14 tent and use a Mr Heater Buddy, but not the large one. It's a no brainer for me adn i have used it for close to 20 years. I looked at the Nu Way and all I can say is research it well and get a CO2 monitor.

I was looking at nu way given it’s vented.  Figure that solves the co issue    But wanted to see if folks have used it in AZ

• Like 1

I would get a good wood stove and not look back. Nothing sucks the fun of hunting and camping out of me like sleeping cold, and I used to do it a lot growing up from improper equipment.  I helped on a late 3a3c elk hunt one year and bought a big buddy heater for that hunt. It took some chill off but I was still miserably cold. After I bought my alaknak I started researching quality wood burning stoves and settled on a wilderness 4. Weighs 84 lbs but will burn all night and I can get the tent well over 90° even with a blizzard outside. 

A22100A5-B40F-4F0A-8B5E-66BD7AFF4406_1_201_a.jpg

20210206_180002.jpg

• Like 4

I have a 14x16 cabin tent with a wood burning stove and have to agree with this logic.  My stove is a cheaper unknown brand, about 12x12x24", but it sure does make sleeping nice on cold hunts!  Cooking on it goes without saying.  

I've used it with temps outside in the teens and was so glad we had it.  For warmer hunts I've used propane heaters instead & they were adequate, but then again the lows were in the mid 40s & mid 70s for highs.  I also always had a CO monitor though for the propane heater.

I ended up buying a CO Cylinder stove kit.  Used it last weekend in 6a. It was legit but I need to dial it in more to maximize burn time.  Any tips or tricks on how you guys are loading and adjusting the vent and baffles?

Use coal, it last allot longer...

14 hours ago, n2horns said:

Check out Brian's YT videos.  He does a ton of wood stove winter camping and many of videos talk about wood, fan, dampers etc...

https://www.youtube.com/c/OffGridBackcountryAdventures/videos

I didn’t see anything specific on coal.  Who is running coal in a wood cylinder setup?    Is that the way to go?

8 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

I didn’t see anything specific on coal.  Who is running coal in a wood cylinder setup?    Is that the way to go?

Just ordered at Tractor Supply for my CO Cylinder. Will play with the settings on the stove and see if I can get it to burn at least most of the night. Also bought a 1 burner propane top as a backup.

Hate getting smoked out of the Alaknak in 5 degrees..

I would recommend to check with the manufacturer of your stove before you burn coal. I have heard of warping or worst case scenario, the bottom of the stove burning through. Probably not an issue on a half way decent stove but thought I would mention it. I think you also need to elevate coal up on a grate in a stove to get a proper burn. I have been interested in trying it but never have. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

After lurking Rokslide and reading this I think i’m the only one who sleeps without a stove.  Maybe rethink your sleep systems if you get cold at night. 

Do you have a sleeping system suggestion? I have a bud who is a marine and he swears by his 3 piece military bag. I have tried bags with ratings well below the temps I have slept in and still woken up miserably cold. I have learned to get into a sleeping bag warm with warm feet or I will be cold all night. I guess the nalgene with hot water in it trick could help.