Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Input on new backpack multi day

My pack is older than dirt but could never get myself to spent the money they cost now but i think it is time. Looking for a multi day pack and frame that sits well on hips and will carry everything i need in with gear and out heavy with meat! Any thought or reviews would be great. Seen tons of reviews online but always feel like they are just selling the product they are getting paid to push. Whats your guys thoughts that are really out in the field and not being payed to hunt.

I can't speak to the competition but 100+ pounds in my Kifaru feels like 50 did in my old Badlands. 

I couldn't ask for a better system.

Guest akaspecials

I'm an Eberlestock guy. I run  a V90 Battleship for long multidays, which is styled after a traditional mountaineering backpack. Most guys don't like the mountaineering style, but it's my preference. I load meat less than once or twice a year, so I just throw it on the inside and don't worry about not having a meat shelf. I'd get their smaller V69 Destroyer version if I bought a similar pack again. This is my favorite pack for around 10 years now because it's easy to pack, easy to access, large load capacity, durable, and it sheds catsclaw like a duck sheds water. However, it's base weight is heavy and I'd get a different pack if I was hauling other's people quarters regularly. 

For shorter trips and load hauling I have a F1 Main Frame with batwings and/or vapor 2500. I use it as a day pack or up to two nights if I'm going ultralight. It can be difficult to pack for longer trips because the design is minimalistic/ultralight; there is no real structure/rigidity to the bag and there is not much room.  You need to strap everything down really well to get it to load properly,  and this is where it shines, as I can add 2 tripods, 15s and a spotter, bulky clothing or sun canopies, and a 3 gallon scepter jug to the outside very easily.  It carries like a dream too. For multiday, I'd consider getting the Vapor 5000 or 7500. Just be aware that it is a minimalistic design without many organizing pockets or features; it's just an overpriced bag at the end of the day... The Vapor has held up fine to one season of cats claw, but I imagine I will have have to repair holes in the future as it's just too thin to hold up to 10 years of abuse. But, that lighter fabric always makes the packs base weight MUCH lower than the V90 Battleship.

Be aware, some Eberlestock packs suck. Avoid the X2. It's a cool design for Eastern whitetail hunter that carries too much, but it lacks a sufficient frame to carry decent loads. I'm also not sold on the J34 Just One, but haven't owned one.

Finally, Eberlestock accessories can really make the pack shine, but they can be expensive and heavy. I always have large accessory pouches on my hip belt for extra storage (this is a game changer for easy access to more items). I use saddle bags for additional outside storage when needed. I move my accessories from pack to pack as needed. (Also, the mutilid accessory is a joke, grab a Mystery Ranch lid that turns to a backpack, if you need one.)

I used to think Eberlestock makes the most durable gear, but this is not necessarily the case with the newer stuff, and depending on which specific pack. Eberlestock are going like all the other brands (kuiu and sitka) and trying to produce high quality light gear at low costs, and this is where the F1 mainframe modular design came in... It fills it's role sufficiently and I'd buy again. I think for the most part, they are comparable to Kuiu and Sitka most of the time and better on durabilty 90% of the time. 

The right pack really depends on what you will be doing and how you like to live/work out of your pack. 

If I changed my backpack loyalty today, I'd be looking at Mystery Ranch if I wanted a durable hauling machine or Gossamer Gear for the best Ultralight Pack, but I'm sticking with Eberlestock for the time being as they can offer a good mix of those two and meet my needs. 

I have a Mystery Ranch Pintler. (It's the non-hunting version so not technically the Pintler) and I LOVE it. It is extremely comfortable, has a comfortable and light frame. However it is a little on the small size. It is PERFECT for hunting, however turns a little small when an animal is on the ground. 

Second the Mystery Ranch line. Super comfortable, expandable, meat shelf, American made,  lacks small gear organization… but who puts meat and skulls in small pockets. 😝

Kifaru is American made, at least the last time I bought from em.