Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Input on new backpack multi day

55 minutes ago, Jcubed said:

Were you a cheerleader by chance?

I get it that it's Friday but a little early to be hitting the Suds isn't it?

Ive run Mystery Ranch Beartooth and Sawtooth. I love both. Bear tooth can seem like it has too much going on at times, but its super comfortable under a load.

Short Answer: Stone Glacier and Kuiu

Long Answer:
Ive not run the Kifaru bags but will offer a review of a few others based my experience. I have bought and hunted with several models of Eberlestock, Outdoorsmans, Stone Glacier. 

I have been using the Stone Glacier (SG) Sky T 6900 for several years and really like the pack. It makes 75 lbs. feel like 40. Eberlestock and Outdoorsmans made 75 lbs feel like 100. 

Outdoorsmans packs are bullet proof. Drop it off a cliff and watch it float down a river and youll find it in one piece. But comfort and customer service made me switch.

Eberlestock packs are good packs. The other member review here is a good one. They are just heavy. They felt good at home in the garage but 300 yards from the truck I was wishing I could drop weight. They have some of the best lumbar support of packs on the market and that can be important for some guys based on back conditions and fit.

If I were to buy a new pack tomorrow Id go Kuiu. 

In the earlier years I was not a fan of the Kuiu packs. Some of that was me being recalcitrant to the Kuiu hype. Last year I bought my Dad (60 yrs old) a Kuiu pro system with two interchangeable bags off the same frame (which most manufacturers do now). My Dad has used Eberlestock for 10 plus years until this season. My Dad has a torn meniscus in his knee. He packed out 2 mulie quarters at the same time in his new Kuiu and said he could easily take more with no pain on the knee. I carried his pack under a meat load on the pack out to get a feel. It was great. Add Kuiu pro packs to the list of bags that make 75 lbs feel like 40. 

What I really like about the Kuiu bags are the amount of built in storage pockets (different than SG where I have to add pockets inside bags) and the extremely well thought out strap design. If you have ever messed with a SG bag youll know that there are more straps and buckles than a Friday night rodeo. It took me 90 seconds to break my Dads bag down, load quarters in the meat shelf and put the bag back together. The design is well thought out. It took me 15 minutes to do the same on my SG. 

Good luck with your purchase. A top end pack is worth its weight in gold when you are tired and trying to hump meat out of a canyon at 7 oclock at night.

Post Script: Ive hiked out meat out with  good friends running Mystery Ranch (i.e Pinter, etc) and they love those bags. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the top brands (SG, Mystery, Kuiu, Kifaru). Fit feel and design  (just like boots) is what it should come down to based on your personal preferences. 

What suds?  Guy seems very cheery and puts an exclamation mark after everything.  Maybe he was in pep squad?  Idk.

• Haha 1

Take a look at Horhunter full curl system, made in America. I have the older version & really like it.

11 minutes ago, goinhuntn said:

Take a look at Horhunter full curl system, made in America. I have the older version & really like it.

Good luck.

I got the mystery ranch backpacking version of the pintler.  It's enough for what I do and less expensive then the "hunting" version.  Big selling point is the meat shelf for long hauls.  But I still always try to drop an elk near a road if possible.

4 minutes ago, goinhuntn said:

Whatever that means??

It means good luck spending that amount of money on a small bag.  Spend some extra money, listen to guys that have btdt, and, finally, "buy once, cry once."

Ymmv

18 minutes ago, Jcubed said:

It means good luck spending that amount of money on a small bag.  Spend some extra money, listen to guys that have btdt, and, finally, "buy once, cry once."

Ymmv

Your opinion & your entitled to it! I have the full curl system & the multi day bag is not small by any means. The system works for me & thats all that matters to me. OP asked for suggestions on packs I gave my suggestion based off my experience! If you don’t like the Hornhunter pack than buy what you like, but no need for you to knock what I have. That is why there is multiple packs & gear out there! Have a great day.

3 minutes ago, goinhuntn said:

Your opinion & your entitled to it! I have the full curl system & the multi day bag is not small by any means. The system works for me & thats all that matters to me. OP asked for suggestions on packs I gave my suggestion based off my experience! If you don’t like the Hornhunter pack than buy what you like, but no need for you to knock what I have. That is why there is multiple packs & gear out there! Have a great day.

Cool.