Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

Helped my dad bag a good one

Here’s the story

We got drawn for a unit I never really hunted much before, I think it was our 5th choice. I decided to archery hunt in the area to become more familiar with it. I was lucky enough to bag my first archery deer back in August, which left my dad the only one with a tag. I still planed on hunting with him but never got a chance to do much scouting because of school. I had an area in mind and sent him out this morning while had had some classes I couldn’t miss in the am.

I met up with my dad about 3pm this evening and heard how his day went. NOT GOOD. He only saw a few does. We get to an area that looked really good and had high hopes for the evening. The sun started to get lower and lower and the temp was pretty nice but I did not see a single deer for about an hour and a half. Then on a nice open hillside about 1000 yards away I spotted a deer, it turned his head ANTLERS and we were off to get a closer look.

We used the terrain to our advantage as long as we could and used some junipers and the good old belly crawl to get to 215 yards and another buck showed up. We had several chance to take a shot at 350, 280 but my dad wanted to get as close as we could. He gets set up for a prone shot as I looked trough the binoculars finally getting a good look at them. I told him he wanted the one on the left it was bigger but I wasn’t sure how big he really was. He kept looking our way and I could tell he had good main beams but couldn’t get a good look at his tines. I set there watching and BOOM, the bucks hind quarters give out and falls in his tracks.

It was a great hunt. Picture perfect hunt with my dad. Those two bucks were the only deer I saw but that’s all we needed.

He’s a beautiful buck, one of the biggest bodied bucks I have seen and had a great coat and was loaded with fat and was up there in age as well. Not a bad buck especially for my dad who is looking at the meat and not the antlers

Sorry about being so long winded, I could have been a little longer but you all get the gist of the hunt.

Enjoy

Just got done boiling the skull and after looking at its teeth and an ageing guide by Jim Heffelfinger I aged the deer to be about 6-8 years old.