Non-Resident cap on OTC archery deer tags

Looks like starting this January NR will have the 10% cap put on them for OTC archery deer. Looks like they will be capped at 2,890 tags first come first serve beginning 12AM December 1st online purchase only.

Just got done reading it. Plus or minus this being the last January prior to a fullblown archery draw for everyone? I'd say this might be the last but maybe two years...

Sorry but I hope this is a very short-lived solution.  We live in a state with a very limited number of deer that is not increasing.  At best, some units are stable.    Compound that with a human population that has already grown over 6 million people over last 40 years and is predicted to grow by another 1.4 million people this decade. All this and then add on the 20+ year drought we have been experiencing.  The last thing we should be offering is OTC opportunities to non-residents when we can't meet the needs/wants of the residents.  What other western state offers OTC deer (especially mule deer) opportunities to NR's during the very best times to hunt them during the rut?  This is crazy

I have no facts to support this assumption, but I only know what I have observed and read.  I believe NR's are more successful per capita than resident hunters.  When they travel from out of state to hunt, they tend to hunt harder and longer than most resident OTC archery deer hunters.  Because of this they tend to be more successful.  A NR is more likely to hire a guide/outfitter as well which adds to their success

Game fish should have just issued NR's a very limited # of tags for each unit and made them apply and draw the tag.  I am not anti- NR but I am pro Arizona wildlife and hunters.  With the quota system in place now all this new NR's solution is going to do is take opportunity away from residents.  The faster quotas fill, the sooner hunts close.  

If I'm wrong, I am wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, knothead said:

Sorry but I hope this is a very short-lived solution.  We live in a state with a very limited number of deer that is not increasing.  At best, some units are stable.    Compound that with a human population that has already grown over 6 million people over last 40 years and is predicted to grow by another 1.4 million people this decade. All this and then add on the 20+ year drought we have been experiencing.  The last thing we should be offering is OTC opportunities to non-residents when we can't meet the needs/wants of the residents.  What other western state offers OTC deer (especially mule deer) opportunities to NR's during the very best times to hunt them during the rut?  This is crazy

I have no facts to support this assumption, but I only know what I have observed and read.  I believe NR's are more successful per capita than resident hunters.  When they travel from out of state to hunt, they tend to hunt harder and longer than most resident OTC archery deer hunters.  Because of this they tend to be more successful.  A NR is more likely to hire a guide/outfitter as well which adds to their success

Game fish should have just issued NR's a very limited # of tags for each unit and made them apply and draw the tag.  I am not anti- NR but I am pro Arizona wildlife and hunters.  With the quota system in place now all this new NR's solution is going to do is take opportunity away from residents.  The faster quotas fill, the sooner hunts close.  

Wow.  You typed all that?

1 hour ago, Jcubed said:

Wow.  You typed all that?

Yep.  I'm so good I can even find my way around without a phone.  

People always mention our 20 year drought. Yes this has been part of the problem but a much bigger part of the problem that most people forget is the trapping ban that went in 30 years ago. This has had a HUGE impact on our wildlife. Never forget. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

People always mention our 20 year drought. Yes this has been part of the problem but a much bigger part of the problem that most people forget is the trapping ban that went in 30 years ago. This has had a HUGE impact on our wildlife. Never forget. 

I was just thinking about that yesterday.  If I could only run a trap line….

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

Where is the image that says agree but dont like.

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.51.10 AM.png

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, knothead said:

If it went to a draw the same number of permits would be issued for nr.   Some units will be hunted harder than others but that’s what the quota is for.  Remember the quota doesn’t reset in January.  It resets in august.  So a few units are closed right now that won’t affect your hunt in august.  I don’t see how it’s going to take away opportunity away from residents. If your fav unit went to a draw for nonresident they would take those deer away from the resident quota.  This way residents have the opportunity to fill the quota as fast as a nonresident would.  Which is the same opportunity.  

• Like 4