Sign in to follow this  
zackcarp

Llama Elk Hunt

So as I mentioned in another thread, we bought some llamas this year in hopes of making a small side business out of it. I'm a horseman by heart, but llamas have grown in appeal to me over the years. We've done some camp trips over the summer, I took them Mule deer hunting in Colorado, but we didn't use them much. Last month a friend and I went into the backcountry to try our hand at some Colorado Elk. We took 3 llamas, 2 of which were rookies.

We went a few days early to scout. We found the elk the night before opener, but due to the terrain, we decided to pack up the llamas and move closer. 

On the second day of the hunt, my buddy was able to harvest his first Elk. We packed half the meat out to our spike camp. We went up the next morning and a bear ate a whole hind quarter that we failed to hang high enough in the meat tree. 

Overall, we spent 7 days in the backcountry and packed the llamas over 22 miles of the roughest country Id care to take stock. They did phenomenal. Definitely one for the books.

20221106_112722.thumb.jpg.1c689f8566669803ca7f7cd623df874f.jpg20221106_112635.thumb.jpg.d0b21af6989ad573169eda72f361bc64.jpg20221106_112810.thumb.jpg.39dc3dae439aa5f4e0712100ef8a4809.jpg20221106_112839.thumb.jpg.4a21922eb388793f38973dd5469f04aa.jpg20221017_101316_resized.thumb.jpg.279e37c0d57267c06eb901f06cfda234.jpg20221014_063425.thumb.jpg.f9437cf4b6147a7ad477cfe812fa935c.jpg20221018_100532.thumb.jpg.a03eadd1a2bc64751ace232e41255671.jpg20221018_162523.thumb.jpg.e6bff50cfaec9b173c64bb63b903ee6a.jpg

• Like 17
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Very Cool!!! Way less maintenance I'm sure than horses.

So much less maintenance. And when you have a wreck it won't kill you.

That is super cool! This is pretty much my wife’s dream right here haha…elk hunting in Colorado with llamas to pack it all in and out 

congrats to your buddy on his first elk!

I believe we will see more llamas, owned and rented, for backcountry hunting going forward. These nimble, sure footed camelids go many places horses can’t due to their soft cloven feet. They drink half the quantity of water than horses and can eat naturally avail vegetation at the spike camp. Alert and vocalize a high pitch warning to bear threats. Have been known to death stomp coyotes and cat predators during the night while you sleep undisturbed. Very social creatures to humans with short training needs allows the hunter to use without guides. However, you won’t be riding a llama or get the high ratio of weight carry capability that a horse can deliver due to it’s smaller body frame—but this could be viewed as a plus within limited camp space. Simple, go anywhere animals. I would definitely rent a couple for the backcountry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Code3 said:

I believe we will see more llamas, owned and rented, for backcountry hunting going forward. These nimble, sure footed camelids go many places horses can’t due to their soft cloven feet. They drink half the quantity of water than horses and can eat naturally avail vegetation at the spike camp. Alert and vocalize a high pitch warning to bear threats. Have been known to death stomp coyotes and cat predators during the night while you sleep undisturbed. Very social creatures to humans with short training needs allows the hunter to use without guides. However, you won’t be riding a llama or get the high ratio of weight carry capability that a horse can deliver due to it’s smaller body frame—but this could be viewed as a plus within limited camp space. Simple, go anywhere animals. I would definitely rent a couple for the backcountry. 

They are also allowed in wilderness areas where equines are not. Believe it or not, I offered water everyday on these hunts and they aren't thirsty. They get plenty of water from the dew off the grass. Its been fun for sure.

We aren't at the capacity to rent out many. But we might start offering drop camps, gear, and water services. As well as pack outs. They're much more athletic than equines. It is a give and take scenario.

When we hunted in Colorado, I did see a few guys running llamas in September, but in October, every camp we passed in the back country had horses and mules.

3 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Do you get spat on 

On training hikes yes. But when we are in the backcountry they've been all business. If you get spat on its usually you being in the cross fire.

5 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

On training hikes yes. But when we are in the backcountry they've been all business. If you get spat on its usually you being in the cross fire.

Fascinating