Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

1 of 2 tags filled

Due to school and work my oldest son could only hunt today. We boogied out to Remington to where I shot my deer last year. Past a lot of vehicles and camps and heading out to our destination. I was thinking to myself that it was going to be tough hunt due to all the activity and being the 3rd hunt so far.

We get set up and start glassing, about an hour into it I see movement near the top of a hill. I see a deer, small spike…but there is movement behind it and it’s the big one I saw 2 years ago with a palmation left side. I range them at 380 yds. Very doable!!! Jake stays on them while I get into position. While I’m dialing scope in for the shot Jake says it’s moving back over this ridge. I quickly find him and he disappeared. I asked Jake if he wanted to take the spike. He said, why not. As we were watching him feed he says “dad, there’s another deer in the bush next to him.” I glass that area and there’s another buck, I could see antlers and tell him to get on it. I range it at 375 yds and I dial my rifle in for that range and hand it over to him, I take his rifle and get ready for sloppy seconds. For about 15 minutes it is milling around eating behind some Ocotillos. I hear him taking some deep breaths trying to calm his nerves while I watch him. A few minutes go by and the buck turns broadside. I tell him ready when you are, a few seconds go by and “boom”, deer drops and tag punched. His biggest deer to date. We high five and look for other deer movement, he keeps telling me “ dad, I’m shaking too much to keep my binos still”, I know the feeling all to well I tell him. We pack up and head that direction. I leave him with the deer to clean while I look for the bigger one. No luck for me. He started to drag it, but kept getting hung up on the prickly pears and Ocotillos. I tell him it might be easier to drape it over your shoulders and carry out. Sure wish I was 19 again!!!! Mile and half hike out, carried out without any issues or complaints. Very proud of him. Dropped off at butcher for more burger and steaks and a real nice Euro mount.

56B32CE6-E354-41CB-9D68-9883DC6C0F1F.jpeg

F5F6B60B-75A8-41E9-BAE1-4E9907F5560C.jpeg

56907E3E-0D7A-4265-85E3-BBE267CAB376.jpeg

• Like 26

Good buck. Good story. Thanks for posting. Shaking too much to keep my binos still....that's awesome. We used to tie the front and hind legs together and throw em on like a backpack. Good memories right there. Congrats 

A mile and a half with a deer on his shoulders. Sounds like the boy has grit. Congrats to you both and that's a fine buck.

• Like 1

I asked to help many times, but he kept saying all of the working out and swimming down at the UofA has conditioned him.

• Like 1

Yes, it has worked out nicely in the past.

That's awesome!  Congrats to your son on shooting a nice buck!

Looks like you guys have a nice spot.

That’s great it worked out for you guys! That’s a real nice buck 😃 definitely a unique feeling known only to hunters when you’re shaking like that after a shot haha. Congratulations to you guys!