Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

A Good Day

Hunting is hard. I don’t particularly think that hunting is “fun.” Especially when it’s mid day and it’s 80 degrees out. It’s usually looking back on the hunt when I think wow, that was pretty cool actually. This hunt was no different. One minute it didn’t look like I’d get one, then the next minute it’s time to break out the havalon.

Was with my dad. He’s 67, he can still hike good thankfully because I needed his help.

With the moon and how warm it was this morning I wasn’t that hyped about the day. Got out there early, started slow a couple does and some carp. at about 7:45 or so the sun went behind a cloud and all of a sudden the deer started coming out of the bottoms and feeding on the hillsides. 

My dad said I think I saw a buck running down there. So I start looking and after a while I see a buck standing down in the low hills. Looked good enough for the last day we were hunting (Today).

Ranged, 809 yards. I couldn’t get closer there wasn’t any other vantages to shoot from so I had to send it. Shot and hit but he didn’t go down he walked to 776. it’s thick bottom and I got lucky he stopped in a wide open window and I shot again and dropped him. 

3AE5781F-8924-4C0C-ABC7-03F0BC511DEC.jpeg

E10FBCF6-F8F4-408B-B65D-A1E752AC7771.jpeg

6DE45DEF-CB2D-4257-B388-4EE588B0204C.jpeg

• Like 33

I like the palmation on the rack.  Nice.

That's a heck of a shot at a coues deer from that distance.  Stellar shooting.

Congratulations on your success!

(I hope to look half as good as your Pops at his age)

• Thanks 1

Excellent work and great buck! The highs and lows of hunting are really incredible. Congrats to you and your pops. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Yes, 7mm Magnet. man sized rounds. 

My welfare 7mag is hittin nice at 1030 yards.