firstcoueswas80

Setting kids up for the shot

5 hours ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

It’s not 1975 anymore…there’s tons of great options out there that are WAY more stable shooting platforms than the ones you listed.

4 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Not to mention we are talking 10 year Olds in their first big game hunt. I'm more concerned with a clean shot than showing his level of marksmanship by shooting from an advanced, non-supported position. Hes not Hatchcock. 

No problem.  You’re right.  When I’m wrong about something I can accept it.

Shooting straight is important. Teaching kids how to hunt, stalk and shoot a deer at reasonable ranges, I might argue is equally important.

I am not against some of this equipment and may purchase a rest for my tripod as Im not as steady as I once was. A steady rest for these kids is a great idea.
That said, I will probably leave those 1 shot one kill 1000 yard shots to the 10 year olds. I am just not confident to make an ethical shot at the ranges many of these kids are shooting at deer.

No disrespect intended but I have always enjoyed hunting deer. Not just pulling the trigger and killing a deer. Im sure there are lots of Granddads, Dad, Uncles and friends that make sure these kids get the full experience.
To those, you have my highest respect even if that includes long range shots as long as they been practiced with those kids before the hunt.

• Like 2

My daughter missed a shot at a great buck down south one year because she couldn't find it in the scope.  I felt horrible because I felt like I let her down.  I should have had her ready for the situation.  We were set up on the buck at about 150 yards while it was bedded down.  She was in the prone position with a dead solid rest on my pack and the buck in her cross hairs.  I told her to shoot once it stood up and gave her a shot.  Unfortunately the buck got up and instantly walked into a thick patch of ocotillo and did not give her a shot.  So we picked up and ran around the other side of the ridge to cut it off.  I found it at 200 yards broadside and threw the rifle up on my shooting sticks for her and she was never able to find it in the scope.  She could see the buck but didn't understand keeping her eye on the buck and bringing the scope into position.  So after that she got a lot of work with her M4 with a scope and going out plinking and just practicing bringing the scope up while keeping her eye on the target. I want to make sure that never happens again.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AZbowhntr said:

My daughter missed a shot at a great buck down south one year because she couldn't find it in the scope.  I felt horrible because I felt like I let her down.  I should have had her ready for the situation.  We were set up on the buck at about 150 yards while it was bedded down.  She was in the prone position with a dead solid rest on my pack and the buck in her cross hairs.  I told her to shoot once it stood up and gave her a shot.  Unfortunately the buck got up and instantly walked into a thick patch of ocotillo and did not give her a shot.  So we picked up and ran around the other side of the ridge to cut it off.  I found it at 200 yards broadside and threw the rifle up on my shooting sticks for her and she was never able to find it in the scope.  She could see the buck but didn't understand keeping her eye on the buck and bringing the scope into position.  So after that she got a lot of work with her M4 with a scope and going out plinking and just practicing bringing the scope up while keeping her eye on the target. I want to make sure that never happens again.

I think that’s exactly the most important to practice. Going from binos to scope or naked eye to scope and being able to find what you’re looking for is tough. Going out plinking and picking rocks, stumps, etc to shoot is great practice. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I think that’s exactly the most important to practice. Going from binos to scope or naked eye to scope and being able to find what you’re looking for is tough. Going out plinking and picking rocks, stumps, etc to shoot is great practice. 

Practice, Practice and more Practice. Some people just never become proficient or have a knack for hunting. Mediocre is at best all to be expected. Just like anything else when you are teaching a friend, spouse or child. At some point they will take it forward.

With a kid especially only YOU can ascertain when they have reached thei pinnacle. Sure it should get better but with kids do not put too much emphasis on the end result.

They, like us. Are unique and take time to figure it out.

• Like 1

The claw is a very handy tool. Just make sure to mount it in the middle of the rifle where the center of gravity is. 
my goal was to get my daughter within 200 yards. An inexperienced shooter is not going to go out and shoot sub moa without a lot of practice, even from a bench rest at 100 yards. Paper plate, yes but not sub moa.  Paper plate at 200 yards is a dead deer

my daughters first two deer were 160 yards and 140 yards. These deer were glassed up at 1000+ yards. Stalking to get close was an extremely fun, enjoyable and memorable part of the hunt. Getting that close made the shooting part easy

• Like 2

SunDevil great job. Im sure your daughter cherishes every moment of those hunts while being mentored by her dad.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, firstcoueswas80 said:

helll ive hunted with lots of grown asss men who couldnt set up their own rifle, find the deer and kill it! Let alone a brand new hunter. 

Alot of grown men these days aren't a good comparison. Some hire guides for cow elk hunts, lol. Being 100 successful is too often the goal for alot of people now days. Instant gratification. I get we want our kids to be succesful but they also need to learn even if it means coming home empty handed sometmes. Get him in closer (as has been mentioned) and hunt down to his level until he fills out more and gets a little more experience. He'll do just fine 

• Like 4

Casey, if your son loves to be outside, play in the dirt, is curious about lizards-birds-frogs, and gets excited when he sees a simple coyote...

...You should have no problems with helping him have a good time.  That's what it's about.  Hunting IS fun, especially if Dad helps make it so.

From hiking, to off-roading, to camping and campfires - it's a young boys dream.

Get him familiar with the activity.  Don't expect him to get it on his first run as It may take 3-5 hunts to get him on track.  If he loses interest, then it's all over.

I know this isn't what you asked, but I've seen time & time again where Dads are heartbroken because their kids don't want to be in the hills with them.

Almost every time, it was Dad's fault by applying too much pressure.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chef said:

Casey, if your son loves to be outside, play in the dirt, is curious about lizards-birds-frogs, and gets excited when he sees a simple coyote...

...You should have no problems with helping him have a good time.  That's what it's about.  Hunting IS fun, especially if Dad helps make it so.

From hiking, to off-roading, to camping and campfires - it's a young boys dream.

Get him familiar with the activity.  Don't expect him to get it on his first run as It may take 3-5 hunts to get him on track.  If he loses interest, then it's all over.

I know this isn't what you asked, but I've seen time & time again where Dads are heartbroken because their kids don't want to be in the hills with them.

Almost every time, it was the Dad's fault with applying too much pressure.  

And this is where I am going to struggle. I lack patience sometimes.

Few years ago I bought him some Mavens for Christmas. First day out, with binos on a tripod, "Levi be careful don't knock your binos and tripod over." literally 30 seconds later he knocked them over. I chewed on him pretty good... Had to realize they weren't broken and it was an accident. Made it up to him, and am more cognizant of situations like that. 

• Like 4

Triclawps is legit. Def helps in a clutch moment.

I would really focus on it being fun. #1 Priority.

Maybe get a camera and have him practice shooting wildlife with it.

• Like 1