firstcoueswas80

Setting kids up for the shot

I like a bigger fluid head. The video heads work great. Ball heads are fine but didn't seem to be as easy to fine tune. smaller lighter heads will introduce too much wiggle and some cannot support the weight without flexing.

I also HIGHLY recommend sticking with a single mounting system ie manfrotto or arca swiss for all your stuff. Makes everything SO much easier(everybody probably already does this). 

If you are already with the Manfrotto system I have a sweet video head you are welcome to try .  They area little  bigger and heavier but the stability advantage is well worth the extra weight.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:47 AM, firstcoueswas80 said:

And this is where I am going to struggle. I lack patience sometimes.

Few years ago I bought him some Mavens for Christmas. First day out, with binos on a tripod, "Levi be careful don't knock your binos and tripod over." literally 30 seconds later he knocked them over. I chewed on him pretty good... Had to realize they weren't broken and it was an accident. Made it up to him, and am more cognizant of situations like that. 

Remember, That kid is making memories that he will never forget, and he won't forget that.   Maybe a half of a chill pill will help you

2 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Remember, That kid is making memories that he will never forget, and he won't forget that.   Maybe a half of a chill pill will help you

Lexapro!!!

Although legal, 10 is too early for big game.   I took my son for Kaibab doe when he was 10 and looking back I wish I waited a couple of years.  .   On avg kids aren’t ready Physically, mentally and emotionally at 10.  

put ‘em in for points and wait a bit.  Taking a life is a big deal. 

12 minutes ago, Green Bullet said:

Although legal, 10 is too early for big game.   I took my son for Kaibab doe when he was 10 and looking back I wish I waited a couple of years.  .   On avg kids aren’t ready Physically, mentally and emotionally at 10.  

I've had 10-year-old kids, both girls and boys, licking their chops ready to harvest their first big game animal.

I understand what you're saying though, I just feel we can't place a blanket rule out there.  Everyone is different.

BTW, girls do better than boys when it comes to paying attention, staying focused, following instruction, and have been better shots in my experiences.

12 minutes ago, Chef said:

I've had 10-year-old kids, both girls and boys, licking their chops ready to harvest their first big game animal.

I understand what you're saying though, I just feel we can't place a blanket rule out there.  Everyone is different.

BTW, girls do better than boys when it comes to paying attention, staying focused, following instruction, and have been better shots in my experiences.

The girls vs boy’s statement couldn’t be more true!! My daughter is a lot easier to teach than my two boys.  I think it’s because girls don’t have that competitive streak with their little buddies so there really isn’t any pressure on them making the shot. 

58 minutes ago, Green Bullet said:

Your dead wrong, I was 100 percent ready when I was 10, I killed an elk, javelina and mule deer that same year, I had a great teacher “my dad” who spent a lot of time teaching me how to shoot and use a scope from a very young age 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

Your dead wrong, I was 100 percent ready when I was 10, I killed an elk, javelina and mule deer that same year, I had a great teacher “my dad” who spent a lot of time teaching me how to shoot and use a scope from a very young age 

Neither one of us are right or wrong.  I said on avg.  I’ll stick to that.   You were ready to rock it sounds like good for you.     Chef was right everyone is different.  Just sharing my experiences.     I’ve seen some guys really push it to a fault.  

• Like 1

One also needs to consider and be prepared for the emotions a young child will have after killing their first big game animal. I was lucky. I was kind of stressing it and my daughter walked right up, grabbed the antlers and said let’s take some pictures!  Completely Shocked me. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

One thing I’ve noticed over the years on this site is how often guys mention that their sons don’t hunt with them. Which is always shocking to me 

i wonder if it’s because they started them at 10 or whatever young age and they didn’t like it because of it 

• Like 1

This is all 100% up to my son.  He can't wait. We ate going duck hunting tomorrow and he already has his picked out, belt, and my .22 pistol ready to roll.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Casey I got a triclawps you can use. We won't be needing it this year.

Thanks Kev, I just bought one a few days ago.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Thanks Kev, I just bought one a few days ago.

Cool good luck man. 

I'll ad to my earlier post.  My triclawps with the benro s2 head balanced in center left too much wiggle which is why I added the trigger stick method.  Maybe the trigger stick is not needed with a really good head that keeps the whole deal nice and movement free.  

51 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Cool good luck man. 

I'll ad to my earlier post.  My triclawps with the benro s2 head balanced in center left too much wiggle which is why I added the trigger stick method.  Maybe the trigger stick is not needed with a really good head that keeps the whole deal nice and movement free.  

I imagine something underneath the rear of the gun just magnifies how steady the set up is!