richs4839

LTB long range rifle/package or help getting mine dialed in

I have been using a Ruger American predator 6.5 cm 22” with a vortex diamondback tactical 6-25x50 scope. Rifle is zeroed at 200 yards using precision hunter eldx 143 grain. I have chronographed the rounds. I just can not get this thing dialed in for farther shots like 600, 700 yards and farther. I want to get into reloading but have not yet. 

I am looking to buy a rifle package that is already dialed in or help with getting mine dialed in for father distances. Let me know what you have and what you are looking for. 

You need to hit up Coloradomuley on here. He owns Ace Long Range. Great dude and would get you setup exactly how you want/need. That’s what he does.  

I was going to write up more but there are too many variables to account for based on the limited information.  If it were me, I would start by replacing the scope.  I’ve had less than stellar results with anything Vortex, not trying to bash but rather inform you based on my own experiences.    I don’t know from personal experience how your rifle groups but I know of at least one guy with that rifle and his shoots pretty well with factory ammo.  There’s a few guys on here that may be local to you that could probably help, but being that it’s hunting season, most are probably going to be busy.  You have to start with a good zero, that’s an absolute must before you can start cranking turrets and hitting the long targets. As far as chronographs go, they get you close but not exact.  Search the internet for “trueing your muzzle velocity” there’s numerous write ups on the subject. 

• Like 3

696A914D-493D-42EE-8BF4-AE64BEFD2FFC.thumb.jpeg.1cd726bf07a6767af8b5e4ed22a0fac0.jpegsearch Seekins Havak 6.5C in this site, it's what I have for sale. It works great with 140 ELDMatch out to 1000 yards.

IMG_0510.jpeg

Can you consistently shoot submoa at 100/200 yards? That accounts for the rifle +you intrinsic accuracy to a point

Is your cheek weld consistent? Account for parallax

Holding rifle consistently up and down? Use a scope level to make sure

Box test the scope? Vortex sucks diamondback really sucks, this could be your issue. A small dialing error gets big at 600 yards

Accounting for angle? Idk where you're shooting. Range that is pretty flat, canyons with big angle between you and target, etc. But angle will affect your trajectory and thus adjustments significantly.

I don’t know of one of those that won’t shoot. I put one together for my wife a few years ago to see how cheap I could do it. I put epoxy and a couple steel rods in the fore end and steel for added weight in butt. Shaved the plastic that touches the barrel on the left side ( of hers), took 3/4 coil off the trigger spring and it is a tack driver. No problem out to 700. I shot it out to just less than 1000 and was amazed at how accurate it was. 

62EF81DA-5BD6-4EC8-A9C4-DEE53A421B26.jpeg

54 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

696A914D-493D-42EE-8BF4-AE64BEFD2FFC.thumb.jpeg.1cd726bf07a6767af8b5e4ed22a0fac0.jpegsearch Seekins Havak 6.5C in this site, it's what I have for sale. It works great with 140 ELDMatch out to 1000 yards.

IMG_0510.jpeg

I’m interested, pm me as you can’t receive messages it says.

I bet the rifle shoots and the scope tracking is garbage. Just got my brother out of a Vortex and into a budget scope known for precision tracking and he was demolishing everything this morning with a 1moa load out to 628 yards.

Sorry, love the idea of Vortex and the fact they helped set a flawless customer service standard, but without the Razor line or good Viper product, they are absolutely not for long range shooting.

This AM.

On 11/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, CouesPursuit said:

I bet the rifle shoots and the scope tracking is garbage. Just got my brother out of a Vortex and into a budget scope known for precision tracking and he was demolishing everything this morning with a 1moa load out to 628 yards.

Sorry, love the idea of Vortex and the fact they helped set a flawless customer service standard, but without the Razor line or good Viper product, they are absolutely not for long range shooting.

This AM.

Which budget scope are you referring to that is known for tracking?

• Like 1

I pm’ed you

Would be happy to  help you out but would need to be in person too many variables.  Could be wrong dope, the rifle, the scope, the ammo, the shooter, etc. my guess is we could get you on fairly quickly or identify the issue. 

• Like 1

I am in the East Valley. More than happy to help you get your rifle set up or help you get another. PM me with your cell. I have helped lots of guys out.  A range trip can answer a lot of questions. It could just be you, no offense. A little instruction gets most guys shooting out to 1000. Shooting long range requires more than most expect.

Like others said, the rifle should shoot. Get match ammo and a new scope. I bet it will go to 1000.

If you are serious about getting a different set up, I might have one or help you buy another rifle if that’s really what you want. Now is a good time to buy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, loboscout said:

I am in the East Valley. More than happy to help you get your rifle set up or help you get another. PM me with your cell. I have helped lots of guys out.  A range trip can answer a lot of questions. It could just be you, no offense. A little instruction gets most guys shooting out to 1000. Shooting long range requires more than most expect.

Like others said, the rifle should shoot. Get match ammo and a new scope. I bet it will go to 1000.

If you are serious about getting a different set up, I might have one or help you buy another rifle if that’s really what you want. Now is a good time to buy.

I was just going to suggest contacting loboscout! Let me know when heading out and I will join as well. You won't be disappointed.