Sign in to follow this  
Guest akaspecials

18 sleeps left...

Guest akaspecials

4E21CC80-0A02-4B2E-A29B-0CFCEB8BF760.thumb.jpeg.e83a3e59bdff7f358f52f3b8e7b30d4f.jpeg

Hoots and hollers were heard all over the mountain. 

Alex and I start the processing while Curtis and Jeff shuffle vehicles to a closer trailhead. Curtis picks up all the gear we dropped before heading up the hill and makes sure all is accounted for. 

Alex and I finish the work as the sun sets. We realize I left my flashlight at the base. Luckily Alex has a second he loans me. 

99CC7193-E31B-4E0D-BFC1-4AC1BCB3D0D5.thumb.jpeg.777fb6d99b8f8db4d5fb6370d6063a02.jpeg

We pick our path out, and it is straight down the draw. The rocks are as unstable as on Day 1, but my legs falter with the heavy pack this time. I forgot my walking sticks. 

I fall for the first time about half way down. I fall another 15 times before we get off the face. 

Jeff and Curtis meet us with fresh headlamps and extra waters at the base. We march the last few miles to the trucks and are all smiles. Jeff snaps this picture before the night ends: 

The hunt is exactly what I wanted. A few friends, hunting on foot, harvesting a mature ram in the mountains I cut my teeth on as a kid. The mountains I drank too much rum in as a teenager. The mountains I escape to as an adult. 

A big thanks to Alex, Curtis, and Jeff. I couldn’t have done it without you! This is your ram as much as mine. 

I’d also like to thank Jay Scott, Brian Rimsza, Bighorn Bob, and Bob Beeman. Each of you took time out of your day to share your information and enthusiasm. Each of you steered me in the right direction, gave me realistic expectations and scenarios, and shared your love of bighorn sheep. Each of you had only positive energy and positive things to say. Thank you! 

CONGRATULATIONS! Great Ram and great story! Thank you for taking us with you on an incredible hunt. Having good friends with you is icing on the cake!

Great great great end to your search!

Congratulations. You checked the boxes you wanted and harvested a great ram to boot. 
Nicely done. 

That's awesome man huge congrats on getting your target ram.  

The guide giving you crap torques me off a bit.  What business is it of his. What a turd.

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials
1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

That's awesome man huge congrats on getting your target ram.  

The guide giving you crap torques me off a bit.  What business is it of his. What a turd.

Thanks, Kev. Cool heads prevailed and we had a successful hunt. He has a right to an opinion and didn’t do anything illegal or interfere with us while hunting.  But yeah, it torqued me too… 

I’ve been in contact with the hunter from Day 1/2. And he has the most critical pieces of my scouting info now.  I’ve glassed twice after my kill trying to help him, and that is why my last group of posts were delayed. He has sent me extensive video of my ram and is a great guy. 

Pictures of Mr Bigger have still not made it to the internet. Myself and one other have them.  He has only been seen once, maybe twice this year. I don’t believe anyone else has photographed him this year. 

I hope the hunter from Day 1/2 or the other 2 gentleman, that have been waiting many decades more than I, can find and harvest Mr Bigger or his twin. I have the utmost respect for them as this unit has beaten me to heck in my mid 30s. I can’t imagine their tenacity to keep at it despite the rough conditions of this unit. They’ve been applying almost as long as I’ve been alive from what I understand. 

I got the ram I wanted after spending 3 hours within 100 hundred yards of him on day 1. A bow kill would have been nice, but not ethical where we found him. I had the best hunt of my life.

Thanks for the congrats! 

Fantastic story and beautiful ram. It’s great it worked out for you!!

Even more kudos to you for helping the other hunter out afterwards. Especially in light of the behavior from the guides. 

Well done. I appreciate the write up. Congratulations sir.