Sign in to follow this  
ELS

7 West Elk Hunt

Hello all!  I am new to this forum thing, but I was told that this is the best, most helpful forum to join.

My 14 year old son has been graciously offered a 7 West Rifle Elk tag from Outdoor Adventures 4 All.  There are a lot of factors that are going in to deciding on whether we can except this amazing offer.  We live in Utah, about 6 hours away.  I would be bringing my son by myself because my husband is not a huge fan of hunting, time and gas are a huge factors for us, and my son is a right leg amputee, so I am a curious to know more about the vehicle and ATV limitations on this unit.

Now to the questions...

1. Do you think this is a hunt that a mom and 14 year old could find some success on solo?  We are both fit and willing to work hard or would you advise against it with the vehicle limitations?

2. Can you help me understand the vehicle limitations more?

3. Would you drive 6+ hours, if you may only have 3 days to hunt only E-Scouted territory?

Yes, hunt it. It is a good unit. I am sure that some on here will be able to help. I have not hunted 7W personally for elk, but know it is a good opportunity. I have hunted 7E several times which is just across the highway. 

That area holds a fair amount of elk. 

There are road restrictions, but if you down an elk you are allowed to go offroad to get closer to it in that unit from what I remember from hunting 7E. 

• Like 1

You can pick up a off road travel management map at the forest service office in Flagstaff or William's Arizona. The arizona game and fish office in Flagstaff, Arizona might have them as well.  The travel management map just shows you what roads are open to go down. Although I don't agree with the travel management, it is what it is. Also, on the south Kaibab national forest you can go a mile off road to retrieve your downed elk. Most of unit 7 west lies on the south Kaibab national forest.  ATV's are legal on all opened roads on the travel management map, you just need an OHV sticker. Good luck on your hunt if you decide to go.

Does the organization providing the tag also provide assistance with the hunt? It seems like most of those organizations have a lot of volunteers and resources available. 

On 11/15/2022 at 9:36 PM, ELS said:

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Did you take the tag? Any updates?