EarlyBronco

Scope question

Looking for a scope to put on my AR, I am just gonna use it for predator hunting, prefer a good quality scope that tracks well and holds zero, looking to see what others are using that works for them? 

• Like 1

Leupold 2.5 - 8 x 36 or 3 - 9 x 40, lightweight quality scopes, AR'S wind up getting heavy in a hurry. Lap the rings and use an inch pound driver to torque to specs.

for yotes, u put the barrel of a 50 bmg on them, no need for scope!

• Haha 1

Zeiss V4

On 11/17/2022 at 7:54 AM, Green Bullet said:

I put on a Nikon scope made for ARs.  It’s pretty good and did t break the bank. 

I did the same. P-223. Good scope for the money. I think I heard Nikon wasn’t building rifle scope any longer though?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

I did the same. P-223. Good scope for the money. I think I heard Nikon wasn’t building rifle scope any longer though?

Correct. Nikon is no longer making scopes. I looked at the P-223 and the Leupold equilivent and you loose eye relief on the Leupold as the power is increased. Not the case on the Nikon.

What budget?

I bought a Bushnell AR optic LPVO 1-6x for an AR and put it in a burris QD cantilever mount. 

It isn't fully sited in yet, but that did not stop it from cracking a 18" steel plate at 500 yards over and over. It has a hold over reticle setup for 223/556. 

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/view-all-riflescopes/ar-optics-1-6x24-illuminated-riflescope/BU-AR71624I.html

• Like 2

any 1x whatever or 2x whatever 

OR

red dot/halo sight with flip over magnifier

depends on where you hunt. 95% of my preds are under 100 yds with most within 50.  

shotgun range

IMG_00000096.thumb.jpg.d86712f0b34a7107ce8df859a932ec65.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 9:28 PM, EarlyBronco said:

Looking for a scope to put on my AR, I am just gonna use it for predator hunting, prefer a good quality scope that tracks well and holds zero, looking to see what others are using that works for them? 

"Tracks well", you dialing for running yotes? 😵 (just joshing u)

I mostly hunt predators and IMO a BDC reticle or MOA/MIL Christmas tree or hashmark reticle is the best. You never know if something will come within 10 ft (had a lion do that, charging in) or run crossways at 300yd like a yote trying to circle you.

2nd focal plane Zeiss v4 with illumination and a hash reticle is what I use. Anything along those lines.

I used to use an ultralight 2.5-10 swfa but not durable enough for going stand to stand in rough terrain. Lost zero bumping around, etc. Fantastic scope but pred hunting in AZ is not what it's for. Need a solidly built scope IMO. I would avoid the lightweight leupolds for that reason. If I had the budget I'd have one of the lower magnification nightforces.