goinhuntn

Hip replacement

Anyone on here ever had a total hip replacement? I just had mine done on November 7th. I have been told what recovery time is, but wondering if anyone here has had it done & what your recovery was like. I don’t have much pain & able to move around with & without a cane. I do get some pain in my flexor muscle after exercising & walking around, it usually goes away after taking ibuprofen & resting . Just wondering what I should be expecting pain & recovery wise. The doctors tell you, but would like first hand knowledge. Thanks in advance for any input. I should mention I just turned 54.

It seems to be a common operation for people in their 40's and early 50's. Recovery was fairly text book for the younger friends of mine who have gone though it.

Brother had his hip done on 10/19, he’s 56.  Still has a fair amount of knee pain, doc and therapist call it referral pain.  Hip feels good and he’s getting around fine, goes to therapy 2x a week.  Took awhile to get a good nights sleep but doing pretty decent now

• Like 1

13 hours ago, azbow said:

Why did you need hip replacement? Was it due to an injury or just wear out? How did you decide that it was needed?

It was wore out started having pain in 2017, went to a orthopedic surgeon in California in 2018 & he took xrays & I was bone on bone. He was a real jerk so no way he was touching me. I tried to deal with it, but pain kept getting worse & Ii started having pain in my groin, knee & lower back. I couldn’t take it anymore & had it done in Havasu by a surgeon who did my dads earlier this year. Lower back pain instantly gone. I’m getting around pretty good, but not sure what recovery pain I should be expecting. My dad doesn’t remember how his recovery was as he is 82 & a little forgetful. Everyday seems to get better & better so I’m hoping my recovery is going well.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are doing great already. Eliminated pain in lower back is a big plus. 

Did you have pain in just the hip joint or the muscles around it also?

54 minutes ago, azbow said:

Sounds like you are doing great already. Eliminated pain in lower back is a big plus. 

Did you have pain in just the hip joint or the muscles around it also?

Mainly in the hip joint that radiated down my leg into my knee.

You will be fine. Had my left replaced at 48. Hereditary issue. Titanium socket and porcelain ball. It will take about a year to recover to 100% but well worth it to maintain quality of life. I have had zero issues other than it squeaks now and then. Just be patient.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Are you fat 

My neighbor just had one done I believe yesterday. He's probably 130 pounds and close to 70 years old. Only about 5 foot tall and already home and doing well. As soon as he's well enough they're going to do the other hip. 

• Like 1

Digging this thread up to see how you are doing.  I am going in this week for my left side. Same symptoms you had.  Hope your recovery has gone well and you are back at it.  Want to hear what it is like hiking with a pack.

I was close. Having fairly serious hip pain on my left side. At 307 pounds. Down to 272 and 0 pain. Still cutting weight and feeling better everyday. 

54 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I was close. Having fairly serious hip pain on my left side. At 307 pounds. Down to 272 and 0 pain. Still cutting weight and feeling better everyday. 

still can't out hike me nugget!