Presmyk

H4350 or 6.5 stallball?

Im deciding on  a powder to start load development  in a couple 6.8 westerns  and those  are the two options, i would prefer h1000 but can find it so not a option right now. Any pros or cons between them with experience?Screenshot_20221117_212122_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a658112420bad300cdb3d150250faf94.jpgScreenshot_20221117_111647_Chrome.thumb.jpg.80e821a8d2e70af134bab17346c2d162.jpg

H4350, period! You get a better fill on that case and more consistent ES. Start with moderate load and work your way up to maximum. Enjoy!

No experience with the 6.8 Western, but the case is said to be basically a .270 WSM with a different angle on the shoulder. I've played with a couple of .270 WSM's using IMR-4350, which worked ok. No load data for RE-19 or 22?

I would like to use rl22 bc i  have that to use with wifes 300 winmag but i have  not seen any. I was comparing the 270 wsm data on nosler and what 6.8 info i can find and they have rl22 data on nosler and  the 6.8 seems to run 3 grains less when compared to the 270 wsm loads 

There was a swap meet yesterday at Rio Salado, some guy had 2 pounds of RE-22 for sale and I don't remember the price that he wanted and it wasn't recent manufacture, it had the red or pink front on it. I don't know him, but I know the guy who had the table next to him, do you want me to see if I can get a contact number for him, if the guy I know even knows the guy who had the powder. I'm pretty sure he's still got it, when I left it was still there and there was very little traffic then.

12 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

There was a swap meet yesterday at Rio Salado, some guy had 2 pounds of RE-22 for sale and I don't remember the price that he wanted and it wasn't recent manufacture, it had the red or pink front on it. I don't know him, but I know the guy who had the table next to him, do you want me to see if I can get a contact number for him, if the guy I know even knows the guy who had the powder. I'm pretty sure he's still got it, when I left it was still there and there was very little traffic then.

I ment i haven't  seen 6.8 load data using rl22 , i have a few pounds of it also im not sure  where rio salado is but it spunds like it way south of me in camp verde lol.

Gotcha. A Google search of 6.8 Western load data will turn up some loads using RE-22, but they are internet loads.

8 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

Gotcha. A Google search of 6.8 Western load data will turn up some loads using RE-22, but they are internet loads.

I tried but didnt find  any. Specific rl22 and 150 grain bullet

H4350 has been one of my favorite powders personally.  My 270 wsm loves it.  In my experience it is very temp stable.  I've shot in 100* down to 0* and no noticable difference in poi.  I have never loaded that stabill but I've heard good things about it.

Someone online suggested a starting load from .270 WSM data and going from there. The Sierra #5 manual has data for a 150gr bullet and 19 and 22 powder. If you want to try that and need the info, holler and I'll post it.

• Thanks 1

RL22 and H1000 are slower burning and not the greatest choices for the 6.8 and 150's, they're both very slow burning powders. H4350 and H4831SC are much better choices. You may want to download a powder burn rate chart so you can see where they are in comparison to RL22. Another thing to consider in using slower burning powders, is they work more efficiently in 26 inch or longer barrels. 

• Like 1

I love H4350 in general. Works well in my 6.5C, 30-06 and 7-08. For my 270 WIN (I know not the 6.8West.) H4831SC gave me excellent accuracy. If H4350 is what ou have go for it, if you can get H4831SC then it will likely work better.

• Like 1

Don't know squat about the 6.8 Western, and I've played very little with the .270 WSM. Hornady says slower burning powder for the 130-150 grain bullets and H-4350 for the lighter 110 bullets, and Sierra has Re-19 and 22 as a recommend hunting load and accuracy load for a 150 grain bullet

20221121_102101.jpg

20221121_102132.jpg

• Like 1

Not a 6.8 but I just tried staball since its available in tucson for my ruger precision 6.5 and found a load that delivers 1/4 inch groups with the 147 eldms. I was a little skeptical about it but so far I like it a lot. If that helps with staball. I use h4350 with my Tikka 6.5 and have a 1 inch group at 300 yards with the 143 eldxs. I'm happy with both powders. 

20221120_133549.jpg

• Like 1

In loading for a .270 WSM, have found Magpro and Ramshot Magnum to provide excellent results with the 140 GR bullets I have tried. That Hodgdon 2022 Manual I noted in a prior post has in in-depth handloading article about the 6.8 Western with lots of powders and bullets and accompanying results.