Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

1st Duck Limit

Got my first duck limit this weekend, my second year getting into duck hunting. I'm convinced it must have been the new rig was the lucky ticket. 1 green wing, three ruddy ducks, 3 mallard.

69059677519--013536AA-0FD0-4A98-87DC-50935A01A03F.jpg

IMG-6575.jpg

IMG-6574.jpg

• Like 8

I've got one limit in my life. It was a drop the mike moment.  Didn't know it at the time.  On one waterhole I got a woodduck, 2 pigtails, male and female mallards.   

Big congrats. 

I can recall my first AZ duck limit, it was opening weekend 1969. It was my dad and brother along with our neighbor up in the white mountains. I think we had a boat and decoys set up on the W end of basin lake just north of big lake in eastern AZ. High overcast, breezy and the migration south was going strong. We could see V after V of waterfowl high up flying south. On a regular interval ducks would bomb in over our decoys. One time a pair of red head drakes came in at full speed from left to right just over the decoys and I got on them fast, had that old Winchester MOD 97 12G working faster than you would think a 13 year old could and dropped them both, bang bang. 2 days 4 limits each day and 56 birds total. Mallards, pintails, widgeon, gadwall and teal. Awesome weekend hunt and as you can guess have never seen its like since.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Sweet!!  Ruddies swim their way into the decoys?  

The decoying was dead with nothing flying so I changed tactics and jump shot everything... although I keep investing, I haven't quite got decoying success figured out yet.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:46 PM, Sneaker said:

The decoying was dead with nothing flying so I changed tactics and jump shot everything... although I keep investing, I haven't quite got decoying success figured out yet.

The thing nobody tells you about decoying ducks is the decoys usually are hardly necessary.  If you’re in a place to really decoy ducks well it’s because they wanna be there anyway.  I’ve shot more ducks over a single robo duck in the right spot than giant spreads.