Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Shotgun Opinions

I am thinking about upgrading my dove/do all shotgun but don't know alot about what is good anymore. I am looking for an auto loader 12ga probably.

I love the look of the old A5 and have thought about that, but they are $$$. 

At the same time I use my shotgun more than any other gun so spending money on one is probably something I should do. 

What is a good auto loader that would be a good dove gun, but capable of Turkey, pheasant, goose, etc.

I shoot my dad old Winchester, but it is only a 2.75" chamber so Turkey and stuff is out for it. 

What do you shoot? What has good longevity? I have no real experience with inertia guns, are they worth it and reliable?

We got a Franchi Affinity for our son when he was shooting trap and skeet. Ran like a champ and he shot a lot!

• Like 1

Get yourself a beretta A400 , you’ll never need another shotgun👍 , they are not inertia driven but they are waaaaayyyy smoother than inertia guns I’ve shot, and very reliable ,I’ve shot a couple of my buddies benelli’s next to mine and they are very rough in comparison, and they will jam with smaller loads sometimes too

• Like 3

I bought a Remington Versamax 2 years ago and it has been perfect. Duck, quail, dove, turkey. Shoots everything wonderfully. 

• Like 1

Big fan of Beretta. Specifically the A300. I reach for it more than the rest of my lineup which includes a Citori Trap, Onyx 20g, Browning B2000, Mossberg 930. Seems to swing great, light, low recoil, and eats any ammo I use. Zero issues. Pair it with a light modified extended choke and it will reach out and touch those birds. I would imagine the A400 is even better. 

• Like 2

Super black eagle or berrrtta extrema are do it alls

Beretta A300 Ultima is best bang for your buck. Around 800$ A400 Extrema would be my next shotgun if I were in the market. Let us know what you get!

• Like 1

A400, once you shoot one it's hard to use anything else. The gas system and the springs in the stock really temper recoil. Incredible fit and finish.

A300 isn't bad I have one as a backup but it's not great, f/f and otherwise

14 minutes ago, andyyy said:

A400, once you shoot one it's hard to use anything else. The gas system and the springs in the stock really temper recoil. Incredible fit and finish.

A300 isn't bad I have one as a backup but it's not great, f/f and otherwise

I agree, I was not impressed with the 300 at all, it’s the only beretta I’ve ever owned that has jammed, A390’s are great too if you can find one 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

I agree, I was not impressed with the 300 at all, it’s the only beretta I’ve ever owned that has jammed, A390’s are great too if you can find one 

Yep, there's no comparison. Take them apart one after the other and it's obvious why. A lot rougher 

I'm still downing birds with the M1897.

• Like 3

Second vote on the Remington Versamax. Never jams, shoots all lengths. While I’ve kept every shotgun I’ve acquire for family posterity, the Versamax is my only Turkey gun. Been using it stock from the factory 5yr now (5 Toms down). Remington often puts out a $100 rebate on this gun. But shop today (Black Friday), and you may get it even less cost!?!

You have some great options listed above. One more that is relatively new out there but I picked up a Savage Reneguage 2 years ago. I wanted an all american made semi auto and the adjustable LOP, adj comb and drop and cast is pretty cool to tinker with.  I've shot 7/8 skeet to turkey and goose loads and it cycles everything, fits well and points well with a melonite finish and light felt recoil (Gas system and reducer in the stock def work).  I wouldn't complain if someone put an A400 or Versamax in my hands but this one handles well as well.  Fun problem to have!