Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Son's First Big Game Deer

Super Proud dad here!  Hunted down south day after Thanksgiving.  Suppose to meet up with other hunters but went to the wrong pin.  It was sketchy with the trailer and didn't want to back out in the dark.  So we went solo and took off with the Ranger.  Found some good hills and started glassing.  A few moments later a solo hunter drove by on his Ranger.  We glassed for 30 min and moved to the next vantage point.  Minutes later I ran into that other hunter on the Ranger.  I haven't been to this part of the unit and he told me it doesn't go any farther.  I said is it ok we glass over here.  I don't have a tag and its just my 10 year old son who has it and will shoot the first thing with horns.   He said yeah I love helping out young hunters.  We started talking a bit and getting to know each other.  Then my son said 10 feet away on the binos " I see some deer".  He glassed up 300 yards away and the other hunter Mark said those are bucks.  We were about to hike to them for a shooting position and Mark said they moved east.  He has been hunting this spot of his for years.  He said follow me I know where they are going.  We played cat and mouse with these deer all morning.  He then glassed up a nice little 60" buck and we watched him for a bit.  600 yards out my son cant shoot that.  Soon we lost that buck and then relocated the bucks my son found earlier.   Same thing cat and mouse and then finally he bedded down behind cat claws.  We moved north and south trying to get a good shooting spot.  Found a 400 yard shot open vitals but we looking into the sun so the glare on the scope and the deer on the north slope in the shade he disappear in the scope.  The binos we can see him though.  So the shot was blind. I told him Mark since its so windy around 15 mph wind i bet he will let us walk up close.  We got up to 250 yards and couldn't get any closer.  My son stayed on the gun like below for about an hour.  The deer got up and he had it in sights and bumped his gun.  I got up to help him and he relocated it.  I was next to him when he shot and Mark yelled out right over his back.  The buck went behind bushes again back and fourth.  A couple times I had to get up and relocate it for my son.  I tell you this was hard with a 10 year old.  After another hour of this he stepped out and I told my son you need to shoot him now or he will move again.  Right through the neck into the vitals since he was quarter facing down hill.  He dropped like a sack of potato's.  Mark and I were shouting, hoot and howling.  My son turned and said did I get him?  I said yeah that's why we are screaming with joy lol!!!  I have yet sat on my gun that long for a shot and he didn't complain once!!  So proud of him.  So thankful for the other hunter who wanted to see him get one.   True sportsmen right there.  I got his info and Im planning on sending him a 100 gift card to Texas Road House for thanks.  I don't think Ive could of made it happen on that buck with out his help and locating and relocating the deer.  He texted me today he glassed up a 110 and trying to find him again.  Best of luck Mark!  Thank you.         

210770497_MaxinProne.thumb.jpg.7111eb0131c00b6272cc068acec4f59a.jpg1765015089_MaxDeer.thumb.jpg.9fdf6f5559744619463e6320f4df49d8.jpg

• Like 21

Awesome job and great write-up. Sounds like you met a real stand-up guy too which is extra special. Thanks for sharing your story.

• Like 1

That is great your son was able to fill his tag!! Way to go! And super cool another hunter took the time to help you guys out—hope he tags out too!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AzRaised08 said:

That is great your son was able to fill his tag!! Way to go! And super cool another hunter took the time to help you guys out—hope he tags out too!

He got his buck Tuesday even.  A nice 80 inch buck

• Like 1