2 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

Hmmm, I never heard of that, I shot a bear and thought it was great, didn’t seem greasy when cooking it, but when skinning it the fat is way stickier and greasy than anything else I’ve skinned, I just think it would be dumb to shoot one of you don’t plan on eating it, I know  you said you would keep it, but I’m just saying in general why would anybody shoot a big game animal if they don’t plan on eating it 

personally I don’t plan on ever shooting one for just such reason. I don’t want to eat it. 

But I’ve watched enough of those game warden shows to know it’s common to leave the meat, legal or not. 

I've been told bears generally get the trichonosis tapeworm from cannibalism which can happen in AZ but happenes more often in Canada AK and ect. Its not very common in here in Arizona. If you cook it to the meat to 165 it will be just fine. It actually taste pretty good, and my bears in August had very very low fat content. I like it, but again I make alot of summer sausage out of it. The backstraps tasted like roast beef. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EarlyBronco said:

Hmmm, I never heard of that, I shot a bear and thought it was great, didn’t seem greasy when cooking it, but when skinning it the fat is way stickier and greasy than anything else I’ve skinned, I just think it would be dumb to shoot one of you don’t plan on eating it, I know  you said you would keep it, but I’m just saying in general why would anybody shoot a big game animal if they don’t plan on eating it 

I know "trophy hunters" who dont give a rip about the meat, just the antlers or mounts.  I dont agree with them, I'm with you on why would you shoot what you wont eat.  But there are lots who  will....

Best jerky I've had in my life was bear ground strip jerky. After freezing the meat for a month, I'd run the dehydrator for a week or two and have a year's worth.

Bear is delicious as summer sausage and roasts etc... I'll never eat a steak for fear of under cooking

In some states (AK, idaho, and maybe wyoming???? and some others)   it isn't required to take out the bear meat, I'm guessing it is because it can be hazardous to your health if not prepared correctly but I don't know. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, idgaf said:

Had a good year a few years ago.  White meat is lion, medium rare meat is venison,  smoked meat is bison. The non hunters at the table like lion the best. Screenshot_20221130_073309_Facebook.thumb.jpg.af515adeed71682cdec2ae34b5c219e0.jpg

All looks good. What kind of soup is that?

My bear was definitely in the tasted great category. browned and cooked in cast iron pot . Easily as good or better then any elk or deer I've had. I suppose it has to do a lot with what they are eating. San Carlos Bear

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

All looks good. What kind of soup is that?

Mushroom gravy If I remember correctly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, AZLance said:

i turned in bear hunter a couple years ago for leaving half the meat.

A couple of years ago it wasn't required to take any meat from lions or bears so depending on when, nothing may have happened to them. Should have stayed that way. Why dont they make you keep coyote meat? If its a predator who gives AF if you dont eat it. From 2018 regs:

Screenshot_20221130-172540_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

The only bear I ever shot was on my birthday in 2000 and was a young one and I only took the backstrap. What a mistake. It was like juicy beef. Trich is no big deal. I think you can kill it by freezing the meat for a month.

2 hours ago, idgaf said:

Mushroom gravy If I remember correctly 

Thought maybe a Thai soup or something. I'd give it a taste though!

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

I've only heard lion meat is great but the smell when you cut them open would turn you off.

That’s every animal 

• Like 1

A friend of mine arrowed a bear that was feeding on maggots on a very ripe beef carcass.   Bear had at least three arrows in it i.e. "gut shot".  I skinned in out for him, nastiest carcass I've ever dealt with.  Maggots (dead and alive) everywhere.  I've got a reasonably strong stomach but that was a rough one.  We boned out the carcass and packed it out.  He kept offering me meat, telling me how great it was, I declined.  Eventually, I did try some and it was very good.  Other than salmon bears in AK, no ethical reason not to keep bear meat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oz31p said:

That’s every animal 

Not for me.  I've never really had a real harsh odor during gutting but I've never gutted a lion.  This was told to me by Dale from wild heritage taxidermy. Lion meat is great but the smell is awful (I'm told).   I figure he's in the know more then I am.  That being said I've cut into the stomach of animals and I always tell myself to never do it again.  Uncontrollable dry heaves and all.