6 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Not for me.  I've never really had a real harsh odor during gutting but I've never gutted a lion.  This was told to me by Dale from wild heritage taxidermy. Lion meat is great but the smell is awful (I'm told).   I figure he's in the know more then I am.  That being said I've cut into the stomach of animals and I always tell myself to never do it again.  Uncontrollable dry heaves and all.    

This reminds me of my uncle…has killed 100s of deer and other animals. Every one he starts puking and dry heaving with the first cut no matter what. Sort of funny to remember now but it wasn’t when it was my first deer and I didn’t know what I was doing. LoL

21 minutes ago, bigorange said:

This reminds me of my uncle…has killed 100s of deer and other animals. Every one he starts puking and dry heaving with the first cut no matter what. Sort of funny to remember now but it wasn’t when it was my first deer and I didn’t know what I was doing. LoL

That's funny. I've cut into stomachs and guts way more then I would ever want to admit.

42 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I've only heard lion meat is great but the smell when you cut them open would turn you off.

It's the smell on the outside that will make you run. 

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Interesting to hear that lions stink? I would have thought being that they’re such good stalkers they must have a light odor. Guess it really is all about the wind. 

it boggles my mind that people still gut big game animals...I quit that decades ago.

#guttlessmethod 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Lions stink like none other except maybe a badger.

But the meat ia top 5 I've ever had.

post a picture  of the lion you killed that stunk

• Haha 1

Does anyone have any experience eating bobcat? Is it similar to lion? 

I’ve only eaten bear once and it was good. I imagine if someone with experience cooking and preparing it helps usher you into the world of bear cuisine it would be easier to stomach and enjoy. But, just like non-hunters or first time hunters, it can be a little daunting eating any animal for the first time. 

Had bear once. ID bear. Was not very good. 

went to TX in Sept and shot an aoudad. Caped it out and left the rest. Weirdest thing I ever did was walking away from all that meat. 

24 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Had bear once. ID bear. Was not very good. 

went to TX in Sept and shot an aoudad. Caped it out and left the rest. Weirdest thing I ever did was walking away from all that meat. 

What was wrong with the aoudad meat?

17 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Bear is delicious as summer sausage and roasts etc... I'll never eat a steak for fear of under cooking

In some states (AK, idaho, and maybe wyoming???? and some others)   it isn't required to take out the bear meat, I'm guessing it is because it can be hazardous to your health if not prepared correctly but I don't know. 

Yes Wyoming doesn’t require you to take the meat. Did a hunt there last year and was shocked when the guide said they usually left it unless the hunter really wanted to take it. 

8 hours ago, Couestracker said:

What was wrong with the aoudad meat?

The general consensus on aoudad meat is that it is not very good to eat. Most hunters/guides/ranchers in TX leave it in the field.  

I stumbled across this thread, so I gotta reply lol.  When I was hunting in Alaska on a guided hunt the camp cook asked me to help him "unhook" a moose quarter so he could butcher it. When we dumped the burlap sack on the butcher table and pulled it out he started to unfold the deboned quarter.  The maggots had the run of the place, conservatively a pound of wigglers. He expertly sorted out the mess then wiped the carcass of the intruders. Telling me to just keep it quiet on the "dudes" he brought it in the cook tent. LOL