eastvalleyjerry

Thanksgiving Hunt

Had a very quick thanksgiving with my Wife and her family and slunk out of there after finishing my plate and made it down to camp Thursday afternoon with an hour or so to go look around and make a game plan for the morning.  Picked a spot I had seen deer in the past at while glassing for pigs and opening morning came with us spotting a few does in this area and no bucks. Decided to go check some different spots that afternoon and found a great looking spot and glassed up a little spike right off the bat inside of my comfort zone for shooting. Decided to let him in hopes that something else would appear. No luck glassed till it was dark with only a few more doe sightings and took headed back to camp for the night.

Next morning headed into the same spot I was at the night before where we found the little spike and we were seeing deer everywhere. Must have seen at least 30 different deer. Once the sun finally rose high enough to expose the hill I was concentrating on deer were coming out of the wood works. I finally spotted a decent 2x2 with Eye guards and decided if he stuck around I would try to make a play on him. He went over the hill out of my sight for at least 15 minutes and just as I was loosing hope he came back over the saddle and I spotted him again. Now I was confident he was going to stick around so I made a plan to get closer and moved in. He was about 800 yards from where I was glassing and 500 yards is about the range I felt I needed to get to. Without many options I figured the nob below me would get me close to that range. 

Made it down the hill to the best spot I could find and found the buck up on the hill and ranged him at 515. Got my gun set up for me to shoot in a prone position but had to crawl out in front of where I was going to shoot from to bend over all of the tall grass over so I could see. The grass is crazy out there this year, great to see. First shot, right over his back, second shot went right under him, he had enough and trotted to the right a little bit. Found him again and the third shot was true and he dropped. 

Cou Buck.jpg

Cou Buck 2.jpg

Cou Buck 3.jpg

• Like 22

I actually cut him and half and let my buddy pack out the rear quarters. This deer had some weird little worms in its guts, white and about 4 inches long, closest thing I could look up that looked like it was lung worms. Anyone ever seen anything like that?