Sign in to follow this  
DarkGrave53

Looking for help 36b

Hello all,

I have been hunting 36b the last few days and have not seen one buck. I have glassed up so many does without any bucks and wondering if I should be changing my strategy or not. I have seen javelina, mt lion, coati and about 40 does a day but not one buck. I have been getting high and glassing juniper grassland mornings and thicker canyons during the mid day evening. Usually I am of the belief, where there are does a buck is within the sq mile but no such luck it seems. Any help would be helpful.

You're right they're close to those does but you're not looking well enough for the bucks. Bucks are in bachelor herds and very nocturnal. In a few weeks they'll lose their heads to those does. Open your eyes to the northwest sides of ledges and canyons. Always on the shady side till dark!

• Like 4

There’s a old saying when it comes to coues deer hunting….”some time you have to see every doe in the unit first “

• Like 3

Mature bucks are the first to bed in the morning and the last to come out in the evening 

• Like 1

You still have time to explore new areas if needed. I've never hunted that part of 36B but plenty of bucks everywhere. 

Sounds like you’re in a nursery.   Keep moving, glass glass glass.  Seeing a lot of deer is nice and keeps you in the glass but where I find most bucks I don’t see a lot of deer.   

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, zslayer said:

Sounds like you’re in a nursery.   Keep moving, glass glass glass.  Seeing a lot of deer is nice and keeps you in the glass but where I find most bucks I don’t see a lot of deer.   

We have a spot we actually call the nursery. Great for new hunters/kids.

If not in a hiding routine, the bucks are adjacent to where you're looking, taking up the primest/safest bedding areas. 

If possible, move to the next area bordering where you've hunted that is either farther from a road or in more difficult terrain. Good luck.

• Like 1

Send me a DM with contact info. I am down in this unit now.everybody in our camp is tagged out but I know of some good bucks that nobody could get to.

• Like 4