PRDATR

Elk Processing from MIllers 6-8 Weeks

15 minutes ago, elkaholic said:

Anyone use the perkinsville butcher?

I used them for my antelope several years ago. I was pleased with them. 

We do all our own and haven't used a processor is many years but back then Millers was no bueno (several bad stories and 1 bad personal experience but could be old old tapes now) and we always used Verde Valley (name may have changed now from what I read above here) but was right next to the taxidermy shop (or maybe that was the taxidermy shop name and I always used was the processor) - anyway plus one for that guy - they did great work and had the best blend of pepper in their summer sausage. I've been trying to replicate it for 20 years now and still can remember the difference. 

• Like 1

Be grateful you have a processor. 

Two years ago when I killed a late bull several places in Payson along with one in Tucson just said “no, sorry, we are full.”

I ended up dropping it at Millers and if I am not mistaken it took 6-8 weeks to it back…and everything I took in was boned out and all I wanted was grind & steaks. 

PS congrats on your bull. 

• Like 1

Millers runs trailers up north for alot of the seasons. I am sure they have quite a backlog. It is nice to be able to drop your meat close by at one of their trailers instead of having to take it to town or have a bunch of big coolers in camp to hold meat. 

I have used their trailer services several times and it was nice to have so I could get back to camp to help my friends continue to hunt. 

They do good work. I don't love their snack sticks, but the rest of the stuff is very good.

I have used Casey's in Flagstaff with good luck too. 

This year we also processed a bear at Von Hansens and they did great work, but were pricey to get special stuff made. 

If I were on the I17 corridor for my hunts I would use Casey's or Carl's. If I hunt by Payson I would use Millers or Von Hanson's. That is assuming you live in Phoenix like me. 

Side note. If you draw Kaibab, the processor in Fredonia does great work too. I forgot the name, but they are on the west end of town. Super awesome. 

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

Millers runs trailers up north for alot of the seasons. I am sure they have quite a backlog. It is nice to be able to drop your meat close by at one of their trailers instead of having to take it to town or have a bunch of big coolers in camp to hold meat. 

I have used their trailer services several times and it was nice to have so I could get back to camp to help my friends continue to hunt. 

They do good work. I don't love their snack sticks, but the rest of the stuff is very good.

I have used Casey's in Flagstaff with good luck too. 

This year we also processed a bear at Von Hansens and they did great work, but were pricey to get special stuff made. 

If I were on the I17 corridor for my hunts I would use Casey's or Carl's. If I hunt by Payson I would use Millers or Von Hanson's. That is assuming you live in Phoenix like me. 

Side note. If you draw Kaibab, the processor in Fredonia does great work too. I forgot the name, but they are on the west end of town. Super awesome. 

I have used Casey's too in the past. My guide was based out of FL's so it was convienent. I was expecting 2-3 weeks so it looks like they will freeze it then thaw it to  cut it up. The dude asked if 4 steaks per package was ok.

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I have used Casey's too in the past. My guide was based out of FL's so it was convienent. I was expecting 2-3 weeks so it looks like they will freeze it then thaw it to  cut it up. The dude asked if 4 steaks per package was ok.

They don't usually freeze it if they are going to cut it within a week or so I don't think. They hung mine in a cooler for about 7-10 days I believe and then cut it after it had aged. 

They did a good job on mine and I would totally use them again, but the last couple hunts I drew were not near Flagstaff. 

• Like 1

I grew up in the meat business. A lot of the old processors are no more. There are a lot of politics involved between packing houses and Millers was always the worst. They did manage to gain a monopoly on the cooler trailers in the high country, which has severely back logged their process. The reality is, politics, labor shortages, and government regulations have strangled many small guys trying to start up. I recommend asking around your community, and you'll usually find a guy willing to do it. Now days, its easy to be a backyard butcher.

• Like 1

I've used Millers the last 7 years and love them.  Only took us two weeks to get ours back during the archery hunt.  The convenience they provide is second to none with their semis located in several areas across the state during the hunts.

I process my own usually but was in the middle of a kitchen remodel this year and had no counters and no sink so no go on that. Gilbert Butchery did a great job for us on a deer and an elk. Fair prices, quick turnaround, like 5 days each time .