Sign in to follow this  
Nebraska402

Whitetail processing

Maybe the lb's is higher than you think it should be, but the cost of the meat, based on how much you received back, seems normal.  Summer sausage and sticks are around $7 - 15$ a lb.  I usually have a meat making day each year and it takes a while and costs a bunch of $ to get all the equipment.  Seems like each year I try to add a new piece of equipment to cut down on the time it takes to make sausage.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nebraska402 said:

I'm gonna add some more.

They charged me for 27 pounds of pork at 3.50 a pound plus charged me 4.50 a pound for the summer sausage and sticks.  That is a grand total of 120 pounds I'm being charged for. But ya see I'm paying 4.50 a pound for 120 pounds plus the 3.50 a pound at 27 pounds. Shouldn't that 3.50 be included in the 4.50 I'm paying?  

According to them I have 30 pounds of cheddar sticks, 30 pounds of jalapeño cheddar sticks and 60 pounds of jalapeño cheddar summer sausage.

I believe it was 120.00 to process the deer and another .25 cents a pound ro grind the 120 total pounds.

Anyone know of a deer you can get 93 pounds of meat off of minus the straps? 

Marshall

So you had no roasts, no burger, all sausage? 

All other lockers I've called say I should not be getting charged for the pork. That's why I'm paying 4.50 for the sticks and sausage..cause they have to add to it ya know. 93 pounds is impossible to get off a deer...especially with the inner and outer straps removed.  I'm getting screwed 10 different ways.

Talked to another guy yesterday..his bill was 845.00

This all seems in line.  The 93# seems a little steep if you took the back straps.  I’ve always had to pay for the pork AND the processing.  

• Like 1

https://www.southwesternprocessing.com/_files/ugd/fa7755_9bd54e091ca443519c9e41f6ce9538e6.pdf

Popular place here in Az.  

60 lbs of sticks x 7$ lb =420$

60 lbs of summer sausage Assuming their logs are 2 lbs, they may be 3 = $360

That is just for the sausage, not the processing.

https://tedbakermeats.com/wild-game-processing/#pricing

Considerably more expensive than what you just paid.  I think your only gripe can be getting back more meat than you think you should have. Most guys would be thrilled with that.  The normal gripe is getting back a lot less meat than you think you should have.  

• Like 1

This is ironic... I used the butcher in Pickrell for the first time and got hosed too. I asked... and the lady told me it wouldn't be much more than my $100 deposit. I turned in 120# of boned out meat and it cost me $220 for ground and some sliced jerky meat. They charged me fees to fire up the grinder, the slicer and $2 a pound for beef fat... that would have eventually ended up in their trash. The topper was they threw 4 of my game bags in the trash after I requested that they be returned. The most I've ever paid for a deer. I'm going back to processing my own. Ed F20221107_182153.thumb.jpg.6ee6f365dbd8512d1235c3602b964ae9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

I just figured that they were just hosing the non-resident... but it looks like you're a local. The other butcher 15 miles south has been doing mine for the last 4 years, same thing, $105. For some reason they were not doing deer this year. Ed F

Ed, your familiar with the area so I talked with Unadilla and Wahoo and they both said no fricken way. They both said 35 to 40 pounds tops getting meat off a deer. I got 93.  Also both lockers said no extra charge on the pork that's why I'm paying a high price on the meat at 4.50. I'm paying double whst either of these other 2 lockets charge

To everyone reading this it's impossible to get 93 pounds of meat off a Whitetail deer..

40 minutes ago, Nebraska402 said:

To everyone reading this it's impossible to get 93 pounds of meat off a Whitetail deer..

I have to disagree with this... I turned in 120# boned out meat... I watched them weigh it. But... under the circumstances I wouldn't bet against them having a funny scale.

I've used Wahoo before, fair pricing. Ed F

Edited by BOWUNTR