Sign in to follow this  
Nebraska402

Whitetail processing

On 12/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, Code3 said:

Pay for the convenience and experience of a processor, or invest in hardware to last your (and your buddies’) entire hunting life and never again wonder if you got back YOUR meat.

316052E0-65E9-4592-BB1B-84E0D42FF635.jpeg

This right here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOWUNTR said:

This is ironic... I used the butcher in Pickrell for the first time and got hosed too. I asked... and the lady told me it wouldn't be much more than my $100 deposit. I turned in 120# of boned out meat and it cost me $220 for ground and some sliced jerky meat. They charged me fees to fire up the grinder, the slicer and $2 a pound for beef fat... that would have eventually ended up in their trash. The topper was they threw 4 of my game bags in the trash after I requested that they be returned. The most I've ever paid for a deer. I'm going back to processing my own. Ed F20221107_182153.thumb.jpg.6ee6f365dbd8512d1235c3602b964ae9.jpg

Dude that buck is awesome 

Almost $800 to process 1 deer is ridiculous.  When paying a processor it's usually for a lack of time on my part but steaks roasts and burger always.  If you want specialty crap just do that stuff yourself.  Don't quote me on it but I think our kids elk have generally been in the 300-400 range

3 hours ago, BOWUNTR said:

I have to disagree with this... I turned in 120# boned out meat... I watched them weigh it. But... under the circumstances I wouldn't bet against them having a funny scale.

I've used Wahoo before, fair pricing. Ed F

Wowza.. your buck field dressed at twice the size of mine according to this calculator 

Screenshot_20221203-173019_Chrome.jpg

I'm not so sure about that calculator. That's 300# dressed... that would put the live weight closer to 400#. My deer was over 200#... but not 300#...

If I used your hanging weight 141# and their claimed weight 93#... that's about 2/3. That puts mine at 180# hanging... plus the bones and then the guts... puts it in low 200's.

Who cares... that butcher sucks. Ed F

• Haha 1

To me, the ultimate question is "Did they do a good job?" meaning did it cook up good and taste good? 

If so, it may be worth the price. I'll happily pay a premium for good processing, or taxidermy, or anything requiring a high level of experience or skill. 

It's like the old joke about the person who made this complaint about a restaurant: "The food was horrible and the portions were so small!"  Obviously, large portions don't make up for bad tasting food. Similarly, a low price does not make up for an inferior product. So before I can chime on on the value proposition, I need to ask, "How'd it taste?"

That big bite grinder is amazing. We just bought a bandsaw, now we are completely set up with everything we need.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

That big bite grinder is amazing. We just bought a bandsaw, now we are completely set up with everything we need.

Yes it is just used one last night

That's ridiculous. We started processing our own deer and elk a few years ago. It takes some time but well worth the effort you put into it.