Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Hunters Ed field day

On 12/4/2022 at 12:03 PM, Coues247 said:

This all started when they forced local hunter ed teachers to jump through all kinds of stupid hoops to be able to teach the classes. Most decided it wasn't worth it and stopped doing them which has led to what we have now with hundreds if not thousands of people trying to get maybe 100 spots in a class every couple months.

Its this right here.  I teach Hunter Ed up here in Flagstaff and I work for the Federal government, so I get the hoops that are being required.  There are Federal regulation requirements that have to be met when using Federal money (PR dollars for HE) and every instructor has access to PII.  AGFD got dinged in an audit because volunteers weren't being held to this standard.  Unfortunately, not every volunteer, including HE instructors, understands this Federal requirement, especially when it was just implemented a year ago.  Shortly after that was implemented, the HE program lost 70% or more of its instructors and there are limitations imposed on getting new instructors trained.  I don't know how much of that is because of process and how much is politics.  I have my suspicions, but that's for a cup of coffee.  Right now, I'm only aware of instructor teams working in Flagstaff, Tucson, and Bullhead area.

I'm working on organizing an in-person class in Flagstaff in February.  It may be my last class as an instructor because I'm getting tired of the politics.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, IA Born said:

Its this right here.  I teach Hunter Ed up here in Flagstaff and I work for the Federal government, so I get the hoops that are being required.  There are Federal regulation requirements that have to be met when using Federal money (PR dollars for HE) and every instructor has access to PII.  AGFD got dinged in an audit because volunteers weren't being held to this standard.  Unfortunately, not every volunteer, including HE instructors, understands this Federal requirement, especially when it was just implemented a year ago.  Shortly after that was implemented, the HE program lost 70% or more of its instructors and there are limitations imposed on getting new instructors trained.  I don't know how much of that is because of process and how much is politics.  I have my suspicions, but that's for a cup of coffee.  Right now, I'm only aware of instructor teams working in Flagstaff, Tucson, and Bullhead area.

I'm working on organizing an in-person class in Flagstaff in February.  It may be my last class as an instructor because I'm getting tired of the politics.

I would love to attend that class if you put it on. Always looking for excuse to see my good friends up in flagstaff.

Just now, firstcoueswas80 said:

I would love to attend that class if you put it on. Always looking for excuse to see my good friends up in flagstaff.

You attend or your son?  Or both?

2 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Him.

I'll PM you shortly with dates and details.

What’s the rush they aren’t making you get it until June. My kid took the online class feb of last year and we still haven’t done a field day

31 minutes ago, AZkiller said:

What’s the rush they aren’t making you get it until June. My kid took the online class feb of last year and we still haven’t done a field day

They won't get the bonus point for the class until field day is finished.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

They won't get the bonus point for the class until field day is finished.

This is true.  Also, we get kids showing up to online field days months (now a year or two) after taking the online class and they are absolutely clueless as to the concepts, questions, and basic firearm safety.  And we're supposed to pass them.  I hate to say it this way, but there are kids out hunting with a full completion certificate and HE card that scare the absolute crap out of me.  I wouldn't feel safe around them at all.

15 minutes ago, IA Born said:

This is true.  Also, we get kids showing up to online field days months (now a year or two) after taking the online class and they are absolutely clueless as to the concepts, questions, and basic firearm safety.  And we're supposed to pass them.  I hate to say it this way, but there are kids out hunting with a full completion certificate and HE card that scare the absolute crap out of me.  I wouldn't feel safe around them at all.

Adults out there that scare me worse. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bigorange said:

Adults out there that scare me worse. 

I don't disagree with you at all.  The parents of these kids are the ones that probably scare me the most because they don't see (or want to hear) what we see as instructors.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, IA Born said:

What specifically are the new requirements for instructors?  Is it training or something more onerous?

maybe I would volunteer to teach a handful a year. 

3 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

What specifically are the new requirements for instructors?  Is it training or something more onerous?

maybe I would volunteer to teach a handful a year. 

That's the other problem. They have not restarted the class to train the instructors after covid. Alot of the old ones are leaving and nobody new is being trained. 

14 hours ago, IA Born said:

I don't disagree with you at all.  The parents of these kids are the ones that probably scare me the most because they don't see (or want to hear) what we see as instructors.

😂 yeah the teachers always know best. What happened before the government decided you needed a class to be able to hunt? Everyone just shot ppl or themselves?? Come on.. almost every Dodge driver in the field scares me more than a father instructing his son or daughter in the field.