Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

What to do with Savage 110FP?

I have a Savage 110FP in 300 win mag. It is a 24" long heavy barrel and the rifle is freaking heavy. It shoots well, but is a PITA to carry hunting. It is top heavy and doesn't sling well. 

I basically wouldn't carry it hunting as is, so what do I do with it? 

It has a factory Tupperware stock, Timney trigger, and giant muzzle brake to reduce the recoil. 

Selling it isn't an option. 

I already have a big 30 cal in a 300 weatherby mag also, so it doesn't have to stay 30 cal. 

I have thought about having the barrel shortened and fluted to save weight, but it would probably be the same price to get a new barrel. 

What would you do? 

I am not opposed to rechambering to something funky to for fun like 325WSM or ? I like funky calibers. 

Pick up a tube on gunbroker or ebay chambered in any cartridge you want with the same bolt face as 300wm. Take to a gunsmith and swap barrels. Savage headspaces with the barrel nut so no lathe work.

Not sure what your budget is - but what Nate said with a proof barrel. I have a couple of their ULs and am very happy with them in both weight and accuracy.  One I did bottom metal and bedded stock (added about 15oz) and one is standard UL.  They shoot!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, nateNAU said:

Pick up a tube on gunbroker or ebay chambered in any cartridge you want with the same bolt face as 300wm. Take to a gunsmith and swap barrels. Savage headspaces with the barrel nut so no lathe work.

Don't need a gunsmith for Savages. They are icky though :lol:

2 hours ago, 07Guardian said:

24" proof barrel in 7mm prc and a new light weight stock or chassis 😎

Don't forget a new smooth action without a fugly barrel nut

You can change the barrel on a Savage yourself in 15 minutes.

4 hours ago, Lucafu1 said:

If it was me I would get a barrel in 7mm Rem mag in a 1:8 twist.

And shoot what bullets?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

And shoot what bullets?

If it was me I would be shooting Barnes 168gr LRX. I am a Barnes fan and have a lot of 7mm caliber rifles but nothing that can shoot that specific bullet.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:01 PM, Hoss50 said:

I have a Savage 110FP in 300 win mag. It is a 24" long heavy barrel and the rifle is freaking heavy. It shoots well, but is a PITA to carry hunting. It is top heavy and doesn't sling well. 

I basically wouldn't carry it hunting as is, so what do I do with it? 

It has a factory Tupperware stock, Timney trigger, and giant muzzle brake to reduce the recoil. 

Selling it isn't an option. 

I already have a big 30 cal in a 300 weatherby mag also, so it doesn't have to stay 30 cal. 

I have thought about having the barrel shortened and fluted to save weight, but it would probably be the same price to get a new barrel. 

What would you do? 

Hoss with all due respect, if I had that rifle I'd leave it as is. Start working out till that rifle becomes light as a feather!! I can't believe this 7 pound rifle crap! I've always carried a 10 pound plus rifle and I'm plus 70!! By the way that doesn't include a 10 pound pack with spotting scope ammo, water and food! What has this world come to?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

Hoss with all due respect, if I had that rifle I'd leave it as is. Start working out till that rifle becomes light as a feather!! I can't believe this 7 pound rifle crap! I've always carried a 10 pound plus rifle and I'm plus 70!! By the way that doesn't include a 10 pound pack with spotting scope ammo, water and food! What has this world come to?

Alot of the problem is the balance. It is so top heavy all it does is try and invert on the sling. 

It also has a short box mag, so without single feed I am limited to standard OAL which makes loading big bullets difficult. 

• Like 1