Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Opportunity VS Trophy Hunts

I know it's super early to be asking about elk hunting with all the season wrapping up but I had a few questions. I am going to be scouting a few units this week because I am interested in some late season tags but I also love hunting the rut in September with my friends and family. 

What do you guys tend to perfer? How all do you guys wait for 10+ years it seems like for these tags? I was thinking of putting in eventually for the early archery hunt in 7E or the late archery in 23. But I don't wanna waste my points if it's bad. 

I guess the main question is would you guys rather wait a long time for a good tag. Or do you guys like to go out on a harder hunt season or unit every couple years and really learn the ropes? Thank you

You should have helped on the late 22 north and south hunts this year. Would probably cure you of the late hunts haha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Lol was it that bad?

It’s tough for sure. There are limited bulls and lots of really good hunters out there with really good help. People will tell you to go and enjoy the experience but if I was sitting on a handful of points I would opt for a good hunt over an opportunity hunt. After you enjoy a good hunt, then come slum it with us late hunters haha.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

It’s tough for sure. There are limited bulls and lots of really good hunters out there with really good help. People will tell you to go and enjoy the experience but if I was sitting on a handful of points I would opt for a good hunt over an opportunity hunt. After you enjoy a good hunt, then come slum it with us late hunters haha.

Gotcha. I got to go to a lotta good units during the rut the last few years. Called in Bulls almost everyday. Freaking insane!

Don’t expect that on late archery hunts haha. I got my butt kicked this year on late hunts so I could just be tender still!!!

• Haha 1

Well having done both a few times there is nothing wrong with an early hunt. You can end up with tag soup either way. Early hunts are hot, late hunts have slim pickens. I tagged out on a bull on Wednesday after six days of leaving at 4-5AM each day and getting back at about 7:30.

Some mornings were 18dgF and we hiked five miles on some days.

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Well having done both a few times there is nothing wrong with an early hunt. You can end up with tag soup either way. Early hunts are hot, late hunts have slim pickens. I tagged out on a bull on Wednesday after six days of leaving at 4-5AM each day and getting back at about 7:30.

Dang thats crazy man. I was on an early cow hunt with my mom this last season. It was fun calling the Bulls in. I found a nice pocket in 4b with pleanty of elk. Would you recommend a cow tag for early archery? Would that be a waste of 3 points or should I just keep going all in on bull tags?

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Let see that bull already...

I waited 16 years for an early rifle tag.  Screw that.   I started putting in for hunts with lower success and higher draw odds. 3 tags in 7 years. 3 dead bulls!  

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

I waited 16 years for an early rifle tag.  Screw that.   I started putting in for hunts with lower success and higher draw odds. 3 tags in 7 years. 3 dead bulls!  

That's awesome! If I get drawn imma prolly end up shooting the first bull I get the opportunity to shoot. I'm trying to kinda narrow down areas I wanna hunt. Try to scout it a little before the draw. At least learn the roads

4 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

You should have helped on the late 22 north and south hunts this year. Would probably cure you of the late hunts haha.

Saw a few guys get lucky right off 260. I was just driving by to drop off my bull. Was kind of crazy to see how easy they had it in a high pressure unit. My only thought was pressure in deeper pushed them towards the highway. My late bull was not easy with less experienced hunters busting a lot of bulls. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

I know it's super early to be asking about elk hunting with all the season wrapping up but I had a few questions. I am going to be scouting a few units this week because I am interested in some late season tags but I also love hunting the rut in September with my friends and family. 

What do you guys tend to perfer? How all do you guys wait for 10+ years it seems like for these tags? I was thinking of putting in eventually for the early archery hunt in 7E or the late archery in 23. But I don't wanna waste my points if it's bad. 

I guess the main question is would you guys rather wait a long time for a good tag. Or do you guys like to go out on a harder hunt season or unit every couple years and really learn the ropes? Thank you

Figure on late hunts only having 1 or 2 chances at good bulls in 7 days so you have to be able to shoot a bow or rifle extremely well. If it rains most units roads trash out. Had one late bull only 500 yards from road. So muddy we had to take horses in 3.5 miles. Also rusted the inside of barrel so bad it was replaced with stainless. This year I had to cut brush for 3 hours to get to bull. Hands thrashed still. Early hunts you can have 1 or 2 chances per day if you scout well enough. Normally easy pack outs. Plus minimal breakage during early hunts. Most years at least a third of bulls are really busted up by Nov. Saw a 330 class bull this year busted above sword on left and only eye guards on right. Early hunts are just long days, late hunts are brutal all around. 

I'm about opportunity  it's the only  time I get off work anymore  .So I don't  put in for the premium  hunts anymore. Been drawn 14,15,16,and 20 for various  hunts in 6a .Two were general cow and two were muzzy bull .Took elk on 3 of 4 hunts.I did the late 23 archery  hunt 1 year and saw 1 bull the whole hunt and had a release malfunction that cost me that bull .The late hunts can be tough. 

• Wow! 1

I've had the 23 Nov archery bull tag 3 times and the 10 early archery bull tag twice.  Night and day difference.  Everyone who hunts should get to hunt bulls in the rut at least once.  It's the most exhilarating thing you can be doing when you are in the middle of a herd of elk with a slight drizzle coming down (knocks your scent out of the air) and there are a herd of elk following the herd bulls' bugles. " It's the best Jerry, the best" (some of you might not get that reference).

• Like 2