Sign in to follow this  
Broken Wheels

GRANDSON NEW HUNTER - INPUT

My 15 year old grandson is getting serious about hunting now and I don't want him wearing army surplus clothes as I did in the 70's so does anyone have any ideas who would have the most bang for their buck clothes out there for a young man? He is the tall and lean so wears 32" britches, medium shirts and 9.5 boots. Ayy suggestions welcome, would like to get him into 1-2 full outfits along the lines of KUIU or First Lite but perhaps a more economical line close to their quality...I know Cadillac tastes with a YUGO budget! Thanks for any input or leads on places to shop. 

Keep an eye on camofire.com. They often have the economical brands at mark down prices. Kings would be a good one. 

• Like 1

Is he still growing? If so that’s hard to go with expensive stuff that gets outgrown. If you’re looking Kuiu there were a couple of good deals on here over the past couple weeks…all too skinny for me so they might fit him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Keep an eye on camofire.com. They often have the economical brands at mark down prices. Kings would be a good one. 

I was going to suggest camofire too. Especially the Kings stuff. They run some good deals and better quality than the cheap stuff at Walmart. 

Killik at sportsmans is good stuff. Kings is another great option. Even the wrangler stretch stuff at Walmart is good and comfy. 

• Like 1

For a growing teenager, don’t be afraid to buy at walmart. It works just fine for a growing young person. He’ll probably will have grown out of it by next hunting season anyway unless you buy a size large. Money will go a lot farther than buying named brand stuff. When he’s older then buy some name brand clothing. He’ll appreciate it more then also.

When it comes to boots though definately try and buy a good quality boot.Always check the clearance racks and closeout sales. 

1-Walmart

2-Kings makes excellent clothing at better prices than first lite or kuiu

3- if you're set on the high end stuff,  Kuiu has a year end sale going now and they usually have their best discounts on the less popular sizes.....tall and skinny 😉 

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Is he still growing? If so that’s hard to go with expensive stuff that gets outgrown. If you’re looking Kuiu there were a couple of good deals on here over the past couple weeks…all too skinny for me so they might fit him. 

He wont get any taller but like most Americans he will "fill out" over time. I messed up and didn't purchase anything during the Black Friday period for KUIU and First LIte

I typically watch eBay for stuff for my boy. Everything that’s not an outer layer I’ll mull over hiking and mountaineering type stuff as well that’s typically as good if not better than any hunting stuff. 

He will get all new 1st layer tops and bottoms from First Lite but the rest we may wait until the day after Christmas and catch some good deals. He is a very active Civil Air Patrol and Jr. ROTC young man and has his head screwed on pretty tight right now so the least I can do is help him with hunting and driving costs so he remains focused on his studies (4.1). Thanks for all the input folks...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Broken Wheels said:

He will get all new 1st layer tops and bottoms from First Lite but the rest we may wait until the day after Christmas and catch some good deals. He is a very active Civil Air Patrol and Jr. ROTC young man and has his head screwed on pretty tight right now so the least I can do is help him with hunting and driving costs so he remains focused on his studies (4.1). Thanks for all the input folks...

While your looking at camofire look for blackovis merino wool base layers you can find it fairly cheap and its of good quality. I am posting a link to blackovis and kings camo but you may select other brands.

https://www.blackovis.com/on-sale/clothing?brand=1892

• Like 2