Sign in to follow this  
Broken Wheels

GRANDSON NEW HUNTER - INPUT

I wear the Walmart stretchy Wranglers. Wore the same pair down on the border for a week on my coues hunt this year. For my AZ and CO hunts I use the Walmart puffy jacket and a windbreaker type hoodie. Camo is overrated unless you are archery hunting. I wear tan or green solids and kill stuff. I like the way camo looks, and there is a certain amount of "fashion" in wearing camo, so that factors in for young guns. If he feels cool and likes it, all the better.

Deer don't see colors like we do, heck, other states you gotta be decked out in orange and they kill stuff... Its movement and scent that busts more hunters than clothes.  Just stay away from shiny or blues. That is something deer can distinguish. Everything "looks like a shade of brown" to deer. But, they see in the blue to ultraviolet range which is why they can eat all night in moonlight and see well at dawn and dusk when the color of everything looks "bluish".

I agree, look for any outdoor style clothes that work. 

• Like 2

You don't need Kuiu, Sitka or First Light.  Killik, Kings, Nomad, Rustic are all fine and less $$.  Cabelas has some decent stuff too, as does Bass Pro.  And heck...I hunted in Walmart stuff for YEARS.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

Get him a red plaid flannel shirt and jeans like the old timers 

I watched my Father harvest more Elk when i was a child and he would try the camo clothes for a day or so, then wake up one morning and put his jeans on, his flannel shirt and smoke an L&M cigarette as he walked around and end up getting his Elk. Same with deer hunting, never tree stand hunted, never glassed just knew where to find the deer and what side of the mountain they would be on during a particular time of day. Back then I believe we had more critters, less hunters and old men kept it simple...

• Like 4