Boarman03

WTB .17 cal centerfire rifles and 17 cal ammo

I am looking to play with the different 17 caliber centerfire rounds for varmint hunting/control. Need rifles and ammo.

Please let me know what you are willing to let go of.

Also, anybody have info on the 17-223 round?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Boarman03 said:

I am looking to play with the different 17 caliber centerfire rounds for varmint hunting/control. Need rifles and ammo.

Please let me know what you are willing to let go of.

Also, anybody have info on the 17-223 round?

Thank you.

.17-.223 Was a wildcat before Remington introduced the .17 Remington. It is simply the .223 necked down whereas the .17 Remington has the shoulder pushed back for a longer neck. H&R made a model 317 Ultra Wlidcat in that cartridge in the late 60s. It is a very light rifle built on the Sako Vixen action. I bought one new back then and later another used one. RCBS and maybe others make dies. The only bullets available originally were 25g Hornady. That's all I've ever shot. Loads can be finniky.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 40-year-AZ-hunter said:

.17-.223 Was a wildcat before Remington introduced the .17 Remington. It is simply the .223 necked down whereas the .17 Remington has the shoulder pushed back for a longer neck. H&R made a model 317 Ultra Wlidcat in that cartridge in the late 60s. It is a very light rifle built on the Sako Vixen action. I bought one new back then and later another used one. RCBS and maybe others make dies. The only bullets available originally were 25g Hornady. That's all I've ever shot. Loads can be finniky.

Hornady supposedly has the died as well.

Thank you for the update. I figure the brass is more readily available in 223 so I want to get it dialed in for tote and other varmints.

But I also want to play with the other .17 caliber rounds. 

Thanks for the info.

18 hours ago, 40-year-AZ-hunter said:

Hornady supposedly has the dies as well.

Thank you for the update. I figure the brass is more readily available in 223 so I want to get it dialed in for yote and other varmints.

But I also want to play with the other .17 caliber rounds. 

Thanks for the info.

Hornady does/did make the dies but remember the 17-223 was never a standardized cartilage  so depending on what reamer the gunsmith used to chamber the gun the dies may or may not work. The necks may need to be turned as well.

• Like 1

My buddy has two cz in 17 hornet (skinny barrel and varmint) they are awesome rifles. 
have done some varmint hunting with them and loved it. 
If you need help with critter control let me know I can help lol. 
have a 204 that needs  to get some field time. 

12 hours ago, rem300ultra said:

I have a box you can have

Thanks! I'll take them. Where are you located?

4 hours ago, Fern said:

My buddy has two cz in 17 hornet (skinny barrel and varmint) they are awesome rifles. 
have done some varmint hunting with them and loved it. 
If you need help with critter control let me know I can help lol. 
have a 204 that needs  to get some field time. 

204 is a little strong. I am in downtown Mesa dealing with predation. Coyotes have to go so sheep can stay alive! 17 Hornet also sounds fun, and safer.