Sign in to follow this  
ike

23 late cow help

Hi Fellow Hunters,

my sister-in-law has the December cow tag (12/9-15).  I went up this weekend to help.  We mostly worked the area east of the Young rd as we *thought* we knew this area.  We glassed up lots and lots of bulls.  Including 2 really big guys.  However, not one single cow.  From the OW ranch and south all we saw were bulls.  We realized that in the past we have only been in there in sept and oct.  Do the cows go else where during December?  We are at a loss on what we are doing wrong.  Again found lots of elk.  Just the wrong sex...  Any tips or areas to look over would be appreciated.

Yep.  They had figured that out and went home.  WM called them and chatted about it.  Thanks for letting us know but they had already figured out their mistake...

1 hour ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

How is this possible?

Pretty simple. They got the dates mixed up. I've known several people that have gotten dates mixed up and missed hunts. A Dec 23 cow tag isn't exactly on the top of the list of most important things going on in most people's lives. 

41 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

Pretty simple. They got the dates mixed up. I've known several people that have gotten dates mixed up and missed hunts. 

It’s extremely difficult to not know your hunt dates that you applied for and waited 6 months to show up and then go on the wrong weekend. I’ve never known anyone to do that 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

It’s extremely difficult to not know your hunt dates that you applied for and waited 6 months to show up and then go on the wrong weekend. I’ve never known anyone to do that 

You said it yourself. You find out you drew (in this case 8 months prior) and its in the back of your mind after that. I've heard of several over the years. Usually weekend warrior type guys that don't really hunt much but put in every now and then. The hunt isn't anything exciting or special to them and they may go out for a day or two opening weekend and drink some beer and go home. People forget dates of things a lot more important than a Dec 23 cow tag so I don't see how it's that mind blowing.

Well all I can say it is a dang good thing they had a hard time finding the cows.  That would have been an expensive mix up. That is probably one of the hardest hunts in the state by the way. Even the locals hate that hunt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZbowhntr said:

Well all I can say it is a dang good thing they had a hard time finding the cows.  That would have been an expensive mix up. That is probably one of the hardest hunts in the state by the way. Even the locals hate that hunt.

Sometime ignorance shines through.