muledeerarea33?

Just bought a Traeger and really?

So I have to vacuum out my smoker to make it work? I’ve gone from pure wood to charcoal and homemade chips to propane and home made chips to this pellet grill. Cooks good but dang. I guess age and convenience has caught up to me.

• Like 1

Not sure where your gripe is.  I vacuum mine out maybe 3 times a year and burn thru 10+ bags of pellets a year.  Mine is one of the older models but still kicking.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

So I have to vacuum out my smoker to make it work? I’ve gone from pure wood to charcoal and homemade chips to propane and home made chips to this pellet grill. Cooks good but dang. I guess age and convenience has caught up to me.

Make sure rodents aren’t starting to build a nest in the burner pot. I have never vacuumed out ours but early on it wouldn’t burn so I had to pull it apart and found a nest built. Had to screen every hole that would let a critter get in. 

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Not sure where your gripe is.  I vacuum mine out maybe 3 times a year and burn thru 10+ bags of pellets a year.  Mine is one of the older models but still kicking.

I’ve had it for two weeks and have about 10 hours on it. Not really a gripe, more of a realization of growing older in a modern technologically advanced world. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’ve had it for two weeks and have about 10 hours on it. Not really a gripe, more of a realization of growing older in a modern technologically advanced world. 

By the time you need to replace the foil you should be putting on your drip pan (if you’re not , you should be) you’ll have enough dust build up it’s worth vacuuming out. Takes a whopping 5 minutes for all.  Dust fires will ruin your day and meal.  I’ve been using Traegers for over 15 years, own four, and will use nothing else.  If vacuuming out your grill a few times a year is too much effort, you sound like a candidate for Uber Eats……

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Love mine. I leave a metal scraper in the bottom of the barrel that I use to break up the stuff in the grease trap drain, and break up the dust if needed. Then shop vac everything out when needed which isn't that often. 

The front mount tray is a must of your model didn't come with it. 

• Like 2

Got rid of my Traeger and got a Masterbuilt Gravity fed charcoal model. 

Uses charcoal and real wood yet still has all of the temperature controls, WIFI, etc

But, like any grill, it will flare up if you don't clean/maintain it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This thread reminds me I should change the foil on the drip pan and vacuum mine…yeah I don’t remember the last time I did that either. 

• Haha 1

That's one of the reasons I went with camp chef.  It's got a cup underneath. You pull a knob and the ash just falls in the cup.  I was an idiot and didn't foil mine. It's all gross and icky now