muledeerarea33?

Just bought a Traeger and really?

13 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Pry return it and go back to real wood. I tried to be modern  I’m sure they make great products but this one turned me off

What ever happened to your wheel barrow that we used to grill on?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, dcshorthairs said:

Haha. Amen. Yoder is built to last a lifetime and then some 😁

These guys are amateurs with thier stamped steal Traegers 😜 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

FYI pit boss is an Arizona company . And includes a flame broil feature 

But the product is still built in China. 

I am probably buying a Yoder on the next go around because they are made in the USA. 

I got an electric Cookshack:  made in America (if you consider Oklahoma part of the USA -- some Texans don't) but expensive.  It is more of the Ron Popeil philosophy -- set it and forget it.  That is my philosophy too.  They do make a pellet feed used in many of the professional competitions.  Sportsmen's carries a Chinese knock-off but it is moderately expensive also.  I think we are going on 10 yr now and well satisfied.  

I'm still using my old Brinkman 'R2D2' looking thing that I picked-up for $5 at a yard sale 20+ years ago (Added a $20 electric heating element to it for consistent heat.).  Sort of limited on capacity, but one roast, turkey, or batch of salmon at a time is good enough for me, anyway.

Maybe someday I'll up my game and go for one of the newer models, but for now I'm still too cheap. lol

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, stanley said:

I'm still using my old Brinkman 'R2D2' looking thing that I picked-up for $5 at a yard sale 20+ years ago (Added a $20 electric heating element to it for consistent heat.).  Sort of limited on capacity, but one roast, turkey, or batch of salmon at a time is good enough for me, anyway.

Maybe someday I'll up my game and go for one of the newer models, but for now I'm still too cheap. lol

On my second one. Bottom pan is "well ventilated" and whenever the water bowl would spring a leak I'd put a 10-32 screw and nut through it and there are probably four or five of those.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are you getting any error codes on the temp controller display? Mine gave me some issues with shutting off and a LER code on the display. Ended up having to open the cone shaped cover on the chimney to get more air flow through the unit and that seemed to solve that issue. They're great when they work, but frustrating as heck when they don't. Good luck

• Like 1

I love the simplicity of a pellet smoker/grill and what you get out of it. It takes significantly less time to clean and tend than my old wood/charcoal smokers. Much better taste than propane, but yes just like everything in life there is some maintenance. 

Couple of things I have learned over the years of pellet grills/smokers    Keep them out of the weather as much as possible either with covers or on a porch etc.. Pellets will retain  some moisture and if they start breaking down it really gums up the auger.  I usually keep just enough pellets in the smoker so that if they get wet, either directly or through humidity in the air I don't waste a bunch of pellets.

There is a sweet spot when you vacuum too much or not often enough   If I'm doing long smokes (6+ hours) I'll clean them out every time. If I'm doing quick grill work, steaks, hamburgers, chicken etc... I clean them every 5 or 6 times I use it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

My drip pan isn’t dirty. Doesn’t even have grease on it.

Well if you keep it put foil on the pan…it won’t stay clean for long. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vowell said:

These guys are amateurs with thier stamped steal Traegers 😜 

It took me a while to graduate. They will soon see the light lol 

• Haha 1