muledeerarea33?

Just bought a Traeger and really?

2 hours ago, Vowell said:

Lol this was me as well the first time I tried smoking cheese. One thing that I learned from this was DIRTY SMOKE! I thought more smoke more better. A recent friend of the family started smoking and selling brisket. Well the meat was not that good because of the dirty smoke/blue smoke. I've stopped using the pellet tube, aka amazing smoke tube and no regrets.

The blue smoke is what you want for cooking, not a billowing white.  Cold smoke will generally be a little thicker, but should dissipate quickly.

Blue smoke should almost be invisible, basically see the heat from the exhaust and maybe a wisp of smoke here and there.

For cheese you have to remember to let it air out, and it won't be done for around two weeks.  Cold smoke for around two hours, then remove it from the smoker.  24 hours wrapped in pink butcher paper in the fridge.  Vacuum bag it and in around 10 days it will be ready.  Also, use a mellow wood for cheese, or eggs, they both take on smoke well.  For either I like pecan, but I am going to try pecan and cherry mix next time.  I have found apple smoke to try to be bitter for cheese or eggs.  That's why I like pecan.

For meats, make sure that the thick white smoke is at a minimum.  I preheat my wood with the top of my fire box before adding it.  It helps it light up faster and keeps the thick smoke down.  I will still get a minute or two here and there, but when it takes 10+ hours that isn't anything.  Also, use mellower wood to start and figure out how much is needed.  Especially mesquite, it can get too strong fast.  I usually only use mesquite for a quick grill, or use just a little for a long smoke.  Oh, make sure mesquite is well seasoned, if it has moisture at all, it will make anything bitter.  This is for a stick burner, for the pellet grills and smokers, I am getting kind of partial to the competition blends of pellets.  Seems to have a good balance of flavor.

• Like 4

On 12/22/2022 at 8:11 PM, NOTAGS said:

Uber eats is a delivery service for people too lazy to go through a drive through or pick up a phone order for them selves. Or too drunk.  If  you don’t know about it, you’re blessed.  Ultra laziness hasn’t hit your neighborhood. Unless you really think the occasional vacuuming is too much . JK.

I second someone’s advice about calling Traegers help line, they’re great. I sell Traeger grills, once in a while you get one with a issue, but 95% of the time it’s skipping a step in shut down or  cleaning. They really are a great product, give them a call before you give up on it.  I cook everything on mine, including breakfasts, with bacon, bisquits, hash browns and eggs.  Obviously need a skillet, but no bacon splatters in the kitchen makes me a rockstar with the wife.  

My step son delivers for Uber Eats. He says over half of the customers he delivers to order McDs. Yes, talk about lazy. To lazy to go to the McDs drive through?  Pitiful

• Like 1

2 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

The blue smoke is what you want for cooking, not a billowing white.  Cold smoke will generally be a little thicker, but should dissipate quickly.

Blue smoke should almost be invisible, basically see the heat from the exhaust and maybe a wisp of smoke here and there.

For cheese you have to remember to let it air out, and it won't be done for around two weeks.  Cold smoke for around two hours, then remove it from the smoker.  24 hours wrapped in pink butcher paper in the fridge.  Vacuum bag it and in around 10 days it will be ready.  Also, use a mellow wood for cheese, or eggs, they both take on smoke well.  For either I like pecan, but I am going to try pecan and cherry mix next time.  I have found apple smoke to try to be bitter for cheese or eggs.  That's why I like pecan.

For meats, make sure that the thick white smoke is at a minimum.  I preheat my wood with the top of my fire box before adding it.  It helps it light up faster and keeps the thick smoke down.  I will still get a minute or two here and there, but when it takes 10+ hours that isn't anything.  Also, use mellower wood to start and figure out how much is needed.  Especially mesquite, it can get too strong fast.  I usually only use mesquite for a quick grill, or use just a little for a long smoke.  Oh, make sure mesquite is well seasoned, if it has moisture at all, it will make anything bitter.  This is for a stick burner, for the pellet grills and smokers, I am getting kind of partial to the competition blends of pellets.  Seems to have a good balance of flavor.

Lol shows you how much I know. But I do know that when the visible smoke gets thick it looks blue, not invisible 

Man, I cant wait to retire to try some of this. Ya'll have too much time on your hands! just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty old a$$ and chunk it right down on the plate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I use the Amazn tube for cheese every year, and do about 16 lb.s at a time, no problems. I have people asking for it each winter.   Everyone loves it  and I use  nothing but mesquite.  Everyone has their own taste, I guess.  The trick is, it has to be cold ambient, I find  40 or below  optimum.   Otherwise, I will put a  pie plate of ice above the tube to absorb the heat it creates.  I have the biggest tube they make, and  let it run overnight till it burns out. I find Monterey or Gouda takes the flavor best. The Traeger itself will get too hot, the cheese will sweat and melt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Man, I cant wait to retire to try some of this. Ya'll have too much time on your hands! just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty old a$$ and chunk it right down on the plate!

I didn’t give a care either really, till I smoked my first pork butt recently. It’s like eating at a premium bbq joint but it’s cheap. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SunDevil said:

My step son delivers for Uber Eats. He says over half of the customers he delivers to order McDs. Yes, talk about lazy. To lazy to go to the McDs drive through?  Pitiful

Maybe too drunk or high…in which case I’m glad they’re off the road. But yeah I’ve noticed a lot more pickups waiting when I’ve been in fast food restaurants lately. Even way outside the city…

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Maybe too drunk or high…in which case I’m glad they’re off the road. But yeah I’ve noticed a lot more pickups waiting when I’ve been in fast food restaurants lately. Even way outside the city…

Mac Donald’s is pretty sub par when it’s fresh. I couldn’t imagine delivery to my place. Ronald’s food would be cold and worse!

3 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Mac Donald’s is pretty sub par when it’s fresh. I couldn’t imagine delivery to my place. Ronald’s food would be cold and worse!

I have a Whataburger a mile away. Food is always cold with a least 15 minute wait at the drive through. Real world problems, and I can't find the answers.🤔

2 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

I have a Whataburger a mile away. Food is always cold with a least 15 minute wait at the drive through. Real world problems, and I can't find the answers.🤔

Whoa bud! Whataburger is legit! 

4 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Go inside...? 

Last Sundays project.  Injected with 🍒 Dr. Pepper and tds barbq sweet BBQ love rub.  Entire butt smothered in Southern mustard and the BBQ rub applied.  Took 10 hours plus 1 hour rest.   One of my best I've made.  

20230122_155521.thumb.jpg.d2da1078902c584e5eda622eb0f65831.jpg

• Like 4